• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (66 Viewers)

Dave J further updates from the Flashes:

2 Med Gulls (ad & 1s), female Wheatear, Lesser Whitethroat, third brood of Lapwing (2+ chicks) - sadly the first 2 broods appear to have perished.

Can someone identify this little one for me?

Hi all

Another great after work visit. I saw my first med gulls and got a good photo of the ruff - put it on the gallery ( good for me anyway!)

I thought this was a reed bunting when I took the picture there were a lot by the Moors Pool this evening, but it is not and I do not know what it is?

Sorry the photo is not great!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 92
A quick tot up of the lists before the start of the Bank Holiday weekend and some promising weather puts the reserve's year list on 130 species and April's on a very impressive 113 species.

A quick tot up of the lists before the start of the Bank Holiday weekend and some promising weather puts the reserve's year list on 130 species and April's on a very impressive 113 species.

Since I commenced keeping a record of the monthly lists from the start of 2014 the highest individual month was April 2015 which racked up 115 species. From the (very) limited data-set the most productive months in terms of variety of species are:

April - average 111 species
September - 109
August - 106
May - 101
July - 98

Early morning at the Flashes JTB reports:

Egyptian Goose flew out at 6am, Avocet 52 (new record count for the reserve), LR Plover 4, Redshank 2, Teal 2 (pair), Shoveler 5.

2 Common Tern on the Sailing Pool

JTB updates from the Flashes as follows:

Med Gull adult, Common Sand, Lapwing - only 13 birds and 3 nests remain (no young seen yet), Lesser Whitethroat singing

2 male Yellow Wagtails in the sewage meadow at the Flashes, Ruff, 2 Oystercatcher, 2 Raven, Snipe and a revised count of 22 Lapwing as per JTB.

Here's hoping that the Snipe and Teal continue lingering until next Saturday's All-Day Birdwatch

Last edited:
Just had a look at tomorrow's forecast and it's very promising late afternoon onwards - a brisker easterly overnight and tomorrow morning with rain from 4pm into the early hours. Monday morning could also be good. Target species would include Arctic and Black Terns, Little Gull, Whimbrel, Wood Sand, Godwits, Greenshank and potentially chats & wagtails.

Since I commenced keeping a record of the monthly lists from the start of 2014 the highest individual month was April 2015 which racked up 115 species. From the (very) limited data-set the most productive months in terms of variety of species are:

April - average 111 species
September - 109
August - 106
May - 101
July - 98

go back 20 years and May was the best month in spring and August in the autumn. . A real sign that spring is getting earlier...for what reason is open to conjecture. john:t:

Phil has already mentioned most of what I saw today.
The main feature of the day was the moderate SE wind. Although it was in the right direction it was cold , out of the wind the St Marks Flies were barely flying above the hedgerow, but most were just above the ground. This meant insectivorous species stayed down low. Only a small number of hirundines flew through, so the promising conditions were fruitless apart from the yellow wags. The lapwing chicks probably perished as a result of the chilling temperatures over the last few days. There food supply probably disappeared and this made them vulnerable to buzzard and gull attacks. The avocets are also having a hard time from coot in one particular area. I counted the BHG nests today and the steady weekly increase has slowed down but is at a record number.

Species count FLASHES :
Teal pr. shoveler 5+. gadwall 4. mallard brood of 7+. Shelduck 6. Tufted 15. Egyptian geese. greylag 4. Canada goose brood.
Avocet 52. oystercatcher 2. lapwing 22 (5 nests ). Redshank 3. Common sand. Ruff. LRP 4. snipe.

Med Gull 2 (1x Adult + 1st summer with a red ring PTJ1). Herring gull 3. LBBG 6. Common tern 3.
Peregrine. Buzzard 3. kestrel.
stock dove 15. raven 2. Jay. rook 6.
skylark 3. swallow 3. Sand martin 4.
Yellow wag 2. pied wag. song thrush 2.
Cetti's Warbler. sedge warbler 4. Reed warbler 3. blackcap 2. lesser whitethroat. chiffchaff 2.
linnet 5. bullfinch.
Reed bunting 5.
Pics of the adult and 1st summer Med Gulls. the ruff and the Med gulls ring

Attachments

• 20170429_122126.jpg
    20170429_122126.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20170429_121347.jpg
    20170429_121347.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20170429_092513.jpg
    20170429_092513.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20170429_092511.jpg
    20170429_092511.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170429_122059-1.jpg
    20170429_122059-1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
We saw a buzzard visit twice yesterday, early evening. The lapwings were very aggressive towards it and it landed on the grass area at the back of the Flashes as well as the oak tree and telegraph pole.

Just had a look at tomorrow's forecast and it's very promising late afternoon onwards - a brisker easterly overnight and tomorrow morning with rain from 4pm into the early hours. Monday morning could also be good. Target species would include Arctic and Black Terns, Little Gull, Whimbrel, Wood Sand, Godwits, Greenshank and potentially chats & wagtails.

Rain now not starting until 6pm today and lasting through until dawn on Monday

Already this morning Black Tern, Little Tern and Barwit have been recorded in the region

Last edited:
Early morning update from Dave J at the Flashes including a bit of wader movement:

50 Avocet, Ruff, 2 Ringed Plover, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper, 2 Common Sandpiper, 5 LR Plover, 2 Redshank, Teal, 5 Shoveler

Last edited:
Summer plumaged Spotted Redshank briefly at the Moors Pool as per Paul C.

Also Green Sand and 3 Common Sand as per JTB

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back