• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern African Forum (1 Viewer)

Wow! You guys have posted remarkably little in six weeks!! I'm back! Had a wonderful holiday, the UK was unbelievably beautiful, the weather fantastic, the people amazing. I have a bit of a UK bird-list (which I will post soon, mainly for Allan's, Cathernie's and Corinna's interest) and fell in love with British birdsong! Thanks Allan, Catherine and Corinna for a really great day at the LWC (they were awfully kind to such an ignoramus!) we enjoyed it immensely. I had one other dedicated biding day at Titchwell and lots of part-time birding here and there. Now I have Kruger to look forward to in less than four weeks . . . .

Last edited:
OK, here is my UK bird list:

Avocet
Barn Swallow
Blackbird
Blackcap
Black-headed Gull
Blue Jay
Blue Tit
Brent Goose
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Collared Dove
Common Pied Oystercatcher
Common Buzzard
Common Greenshank
Common Kestrel
Common Moorhen
Common Pheasant
Common Pochard
Common Quail
Common Redshank
Common Sandpiper
Common Shelduck
Common Starling
Coot
Corn Bunting
Dunnock
Egyptian Goose
Eurasian Linnet
European Greenfinch
European Magpie
Fieldfare
Gadwall
Godwit
Goldfinch
Great Cormorant
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Greater Canada Goose
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Lapwing
Lesser Blackbacked Gull
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long-tailed Tit
Mallard
Mandarin Duck
Montagu’s Harrier
Mute Swan
Northern Shoveller
Nuthatch
Pectoral Sandpiper
Pied Wagtail
Red Kite
Red-legged Partridge
Ring-necked Parakeet
Robin
Rook
Ruff
Sand Martin
Skylark
Snipe
Sparrow
Tawny Owl
Teal
Tree creeper
Tufted Duck
Water Pipit
Western Marsh Harrier
Wheatear
Whistling Duck
White Wagtail
Wigeon
Willow Warbler
Wood Pigeon
Wood Sandpiper
Wren
Yellow Wagtail
Yellowhammer

Lots I've missed, and I'm sorry if the names are not quite correct; but I had a really good time and some good sightings.

Last edited:
Wow! You guys have posted remarkably little in six weeks!! I'm back! Had a wonderful holiday, the UK was unbelievably beautiful, the weather fantastic, the people amazing. I have a bit of a UK bird-list (which I will post soon, mainly for Allan's, Cathernie's and Corinna's interest) and fell in love with British birdsong! Thanks Allan, Catherine and Corinna for a really great day at the LWC (they were awfully kind to such an ignoramus!) we enjoyed it immensely. I had one other dedicated biding day at Titchwell and lots of part-time birding here and there. Now I have Kruger to look forward to in less than four weeks . . . .

Hi Sal,
Welcome back.
Yes I felt lonely......although I have been busy with uploading my pictures in the galleries, so I have been busy on the forum, just in a different section!
It sounds like you had a great time, and luckily the waether behaved itself.
Glad you enjoyed it.

Martin

Avocet
Barn Swallow
Blackbird
Blackcap
Black-headed Gull
Blue Jay
Blue Tit
Brent Goose
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Collared Dove
Common Buzzard
Common Greenshank
Common Kestrel
Common Moorhen
Common Pheasant
Common Pochard
Common Quail
Common Redshank
Common Sandpiper
Common Shelduck
Common Starling
Coot
Corn Bunting
Dunnock
Egyptian Goose
Eurasian Linnet
European Greenfinch
European Magpie
Fieldfare
Gadwall
Godwit
Goldfinch
Great Cormorant
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Greater Canada Goose
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Lapwing
Lesser Blackbacked Gull
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long-tailed Tit
Mallard
Mandarin Duck
Montagu’s Harrier
Mute Swan
Northern Shoveller
Nuthatch
Pectoral Sandpiper
Pied Wagtail
Red Kite
Red-legged Partridge
Ring-necked Parakeet
Robin
Rook
Ruff
Sand Martin
Skylark
Snipe
Sparrow
Tawny Owl
Teal
Tree creeper
Tufted Duck
Water Pipit
Western Marsh Harrier
Wheatear
Whistling Duck
White Wagtail
Wigeon
Willow Warbler
Wood Pigeon
Wood Sandpiper
Wren
Yellow Wagtail
Yellowhammer

Lots I've missed, and I'm sorry if the names are not quite correct; but I had a really good time and some good sightings.

Sal,
Looking at this list it takes me back to my childhood walking through the fields, farms and woods.
There are some bird names here that take me back to very happy times, and as for the bird songs...yes, when I read the third on your list..the Blackbird, I can hear it in my head now...on long summer evenings in the fields oposite where we lived.

Thanks for the memories!!!

Martin

Sal,
Looking at this list it takes me back to my childhood walking through the fields, farms and woods.
There are some bird names here that take me back to very happy times, and as for the bird songs...yes, when I read the third on your list..the Blackbird, I can hear it in my head now...on long summer evenings in the fields oposite where we lived.

Thanks for the memories!!!

Martin

Yes - the song of the Blackbird was the most lovely sound; I was amazed when my sister told me that the cascade of sweet notes I was listening to was a blackbird! Some really pretty birds too, I fell in love with the Chaffinch and the Bluetit!

Yes - the song of the Blackbird was the most lovely sound; I was amazed when my sister told me that the cascade of sweet notes I was listening to was a blackbird! Some really pretty birds too, I fell in love with the Chaffinch and the Bluetit!

Sal,
If I remember correctly also the Bullfinch and Goldfinch are also very impressive looking birds as well.
Also I remember the Song Thrush calling in the evenings as well.

Happy childhood memories.

Martin

Arrow-Marked Babblers

From seeing them for the first time in the garden earlier this year, we had 5 Arrow-marked Babblers on the feeder yesterday. The two parents feeding the three large sub-adults.
Unfortunately by the time I got outside with the camera a Grey Lourie and descending like a bomb onto the feeder and scared the Babblers away.
They have clearly taken up residence somewhere close.
Hope they stick around...it is nice to hear that hysterical cackling call of theirs.

Martin

Hi Sal,
nice to see you made it back safely.

That's a good list, and I am very envious of some of your ticks - the Harriers especially.

We have also booked to come out again, form the 8th to the 28th June :t:
Will we overlap in your Kruger times?

Allan

Just had my second knee replaced. Thank Heaven I don't have any more! Hopefully I can now get back to bird postings.
Best wishes,
Dave

Dave,
So.....bionic man now....maybe you won't have to stay at ground level to view the birds anymore...maybe you just leap up the tree and look at them face to face;)

I hope the recovery goes well and is not too painfull.

Martin

Hi Sal,
nice to see you made it back safely.

That's a good list, and I am very envious of some of your ticks - the Harriers especially.

We have also booked to come out again, form the 8th to the 28th June :t:
Will we overlap in your Kruger times?

Allan

Yup,the Harrier sightings were really good; my sister nearly drove us into the ditch when we spotted the first Marsh Harriers - a male and TWO females performing some great aerobatics which we watched for twenty minutes!

We shall be in Kruger till 11th June (leave early on 12th) so yes you just overlap. Don't know where you'll be - have you booked into Kruger during that time? - we shall be in the south by then staying at Biyamiti.

It seems that the possibility of editing a post disappears quite quickly; just wanted to add Willow Tit to my UK bird list! Brings my total to 82.

Avocet
Barn Swallow
Blackbird
Blackcap
Black-headed Gull
Blue Jay
Blue Tit
Brent Goose
Chaffinch
Chiffchaff
Collared Dove
Common Buzzard
Common Greenshank
Common Kestrel
Common Moorhen
Common Pheasant
Common Pochard
Common Quail
Common Redshank
Common Sandpiper
Common Shelduck
Common Starling
Coot
Corn Bunting
Dunnock
Egyptian Goose
Eurasian Linnet
European Greenfinch
European Magpie
Fieldfare
Gadwall
Godwit
Goldfinch
Great Cormorant
Great Crested Grebe
Great Tit
Greater Canada Goose
Grey Heron
Greylag Goose
Herring Gull
Jackdaw
Lapwing
Lesser Blackbacked Gull
Little Grebe
Little Ringed Plover
Long-tailed Tit
Mallard
Mandarin Duck
Montagu’s Harrier
Mute Swan
Northern Shoveller
Nuthatch
Pectoral Sandpiper
Pied Wagtail
Red Kite
Red-legged Partridge
Ring-necked Parakeet
Robin
Rook
Ruff
Sand Martin
Skylark
Snipe
Sparrow
Tawny Owl
Teal
Tree creeper
Tufted Duck
Water Pipit
Western Marsh Harrier
Wheatear
Whistling Duck
White Wagtail
Wigeon
Willow Warbler
Wood Pigeon
Wood Sandpiper
Wren
Yellow Wagtail
Yellowhammer

That’s an impressive bird list, I’m especially jealous of the Quail. The Jay you saw would be ‘Eurasian’ and not ‘Blue.’ At least I hope so. Either that or I missed the twitch of the decade!
All being well I will be in South Africa next week hopefully seeing many of the birds I’ve read about on this thread.

Dave,
So.....bionic man now....maybe you won't have to stay at ground level to view the birds anymore...maybe you just leap up the tree and look at them face to face;)

I hope the recovery goes well and is not too painfull.

Martin

Hi, Martin,
the recovery is going very well, better than the first one. With luck I should be properly mobile in another few weeks. It will be such a pleasure to be able to walk about again, as opposed to birding from a car!
Best wishes,
Dave

PS
Hey! I see we just hit Page 100! Well done, everybody, and thank you.

Little Ringed Plover
Nuthatch
Pectoral Sandpiper

Welcome back, Sal, and well done with your list, Unfortunately for me, the LRP and Nuthatch don't make it as far north as Scotland, so I have yet to see them. The Pectoral Sandpiper doesn't even appear in my UK/Europe bird books, so well done on that. Where did you find it?
Best wishes,
Dave

Sorry Sal you cant count Whistling Duck - it would have been part of a collection or escape!Monties was a good spot - I've not seen one this year yet - I havent been to Norfolk recently!Willow Tit is also really good as its getting really scarce in the South- in norfolk eh?Can you remember where the Pec Sand was? It was a joy to meet with you (and Allan and Catherine)you brought back the magic of new birds!
Glad you had a great time here in England!
Jealous of you all going to Kruger - altho I do have Tanzania to look forward too!

Sorry Sal you cant count Whistling Duck - it would have been part of a collection or escape!Monties was a good spot - I've not seen one this year yet - I havent been to Norfolk recently!Willow Tit is also really good as its getting really scarce in the South- in norfolk eh?Can you remember where the Pec Sand was? It was a joy to meet with you (and Allan and Catherine)you brought back the magic of new birds!
Glad you had a great time here in England!
Jealous of you all going to Kruger - altho I do have Tanzania to look forward too!

Eek, sorry, I thought someone said Whistling Duck was OK! Yes it was the collection we saw at the London Wetland Centre, thanks for putting me right on that. Looks like I have two other errors as well; having had a look at another thread, looks like the Tit may be a Marsh Tit. I have a rather poor pic of it which I will add to this post and maybe you can tell me? The pectoral Sandpiper was at Titchwell; again I'm open to correction here, it took me ages to decide that this is what it was. If I can find a pic, will post; sorry have not yet been through my pics as I've been pretty busy since getting back. The Harriers of both types were definites though and all sightings were excellent. Yes I think going to Tanzania definitely makes up for not going to Kruger! It was great to meet up and I cant thank the three of you enough for giving us such a great day at LWC!

Attachments

• 1105 Possible Marsh Tit on Larch.jpg
    1105 Possible Marsh Tit on Larch.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 39
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back