• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic fz8 plus teleconverter (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Hi all.
I've tried a thousand times to get a decent picture using my panasonic fz8 with a 2x teleconverter and the results are absolute rubbish. Well, not all, if the subject is within twenty feet, I can get some moderately passable shots, but then again, at that distance I can get better using the standard lens plus optical zoom. I have found that focusing on a subject at any kind of distance is an impossibility, and every image shot with the teleconverter has the halo effect around the subject. I have tried every combination of f value, shutter speed, ISO setting, AF setting, AP setting, SP setting, and meter setting imaginable, and all results with a teleconverter are terrible whther I use the built in converter setting or not.
The same thing happens every time, half press the shutter, subject pops into focus for a split second, then the lens pops back out of focus.
So? Conclusion? Either I am missing something simple, or using a teleconverter is a waste of time. I accept that picture quality will not be so good using a converter, but I can't even focus!
Any comments and/or advice?

Hi all.
I've tried a thousand times to get a decent picture using my panasonic fz8 with a 2x teleconverter and the results are absolute rubbish. Well, not all, if the subject is within twenty feet, I can get some moderately passable shots, but then again, at that distance I can get better using the standard lens plus optical zoom. I have found that focusing on a subject at any kind of distance is an impossibility, and every image shot with the teleconverter has the halo effect around the subject. I have tried every combination of f value, shutter speed, ISO setting, AF setting, AP setting, SP setting, and meter setting imaginable, and all results with a teleconverter are terrible whther I use the built in converter setting or not.
The same thing happens every time, half press the shutter, subject pops into focus for a split second, then the lens pops back out of focus.
So? Conclusion? Either I am missing something simple, or using a teleconverter is a waste of time. I accept that picture quality will not be so good using a converter, but I can't even focus!
Any comments and/or advice?

I have never tried, but try put it in macro mode and see if that helps ?

Niels

I have never tried, but try put it in macro mode and see if that helps ?

Niels

I tried that Niels. I don't even bother anymore. The converter was only pennies so it was worth the gamble as, if it was 'workable' it would be another very light and portable bit of photography gear to put in my holdall and use if opportunity arose. I use DSLR mostly, but the fz8 has been such a good and useful camera, that I don't want to make it redundant and was trying other uses to justify keeping it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back