• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just bought a panny fz28 (1 Viewer)

sonofelvis

Just recieved it today, has anyone got any tips for bird photography, and any links to bird shots taken with one.

Many thanks

I think that in this forum, there are several threads that would be relevant for your request ;)

Niels

Just recieved it today, has anyone got any tips for bird photography, and any links to bird shots taken with one.

Many thanks

Hi there,

Good choice, I still use the older FZ18 and have a number of galleries on my Digital Wildlife Photography page that include a bunch of bird photos.

There is also an article on using telephoto conversion lenses for the Panasonic FZ28 & FZ18 cameras that you may wish to look at, it has really helped me get much closer to the action and therefore take much more interesting photos.

Many thanks

Go to the gallery and type in "fz28", omitting the quotes. All the returned results will be pictures taken with the FZ28, including some of mine.

As for settings:

The Intelligent Auto mode is pretty good for most shots, there's no shame in using it, especially while you are learning about the camera. Also, experiment with the camera in P mode on the dial, if you find settings that work, save to C1 (custom settings). You could have settings for Low Light, Birds in Fight, etc, there are 4 custom settings you can save.

You may want to limit ISO to 800 as the highest, although ISO 1600 is fine for small prints. There's a picture in my gallery of a Jay with a monkey nut in it's mouth, that was ISO 800, judge it for yourself if you think there's too much noise at ISO 800.

And read the manual, it's a brilliant camera, but you need to learn about all the settings. Take a few thousand pictures with it (I took 2000 the first week I got it) and you'll learn quite a bit.|=)|

Oh and don't worry about battery life, I took over 1000 pictures (outdoors, no flash) and the battery had only just gone down to one bar left, but I charged it anyway.

Hi there,

Good choice, I still use the older FZ18 and have a number of galleries on my Digital Wildlife Photography page that include a bunch of bird photos.

There is also an article on using telephoto conversion lenses for the Panasonic FZ28 & FZ18 cameras that you may wish to look at, it has really helped me get much closer to the action and therefore take much more interesting photos.

Hi - I have found this website very informative, and just wondered whether the tc and adaptor for the FZ28 would also be the one to use on the new FZ38 model

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back