• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

passerines and raptors bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Ragnarok

Hey everybody!

Here are some pictures of birds I found hard to identify. Please help me out :)

1) bunting?
2) bunting?
3) crested lark?
4) crested lark?
5) flycatcher?

more to come!

Attachments

• bunting.jpg
    bunting.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 91
  • bunting2.jpg
    bunting2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 80
  • lark.jpg
    lark.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 58
  • lark2.jpg
    lark2.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 43
  • bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 53
6) red-throated pipit? still possible in this season?
7) red-backed shrike juvenile?
8) wheatear?
9) whinchat?

3 more raptors to come!

Attachments

• pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 64
  • shrike.jpg
    shrike.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 48
  • wheatear.jpg
    wheatear.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 44
  • whinchat.jpg
    whinchat.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 34
10) sparrowhawk?
11) bad picture, so i dont expect much here, but maybe LSE?
12) this one lost its tail, so it was trickier to identify... possibly an imperial eagle?

Thanks!!

Attachments

• hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 45
  • prey.jpg
    prey.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 56
  • eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 91
I actually took a picture of a white-tailed and corn bunting during the last days, so ill upload them for comparison :)

also the number of fingers on the wing of the white-tailed seems different to me...

Attachments

• bunting3.jpg
    bunting3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 29
  • eagle2.jpg
    eagle2.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 44
The (2nd) bunting I'd edge for Corn Bunting rather than Yellowhammer. The tail-less eagle looks like a Lesser Spotted to me

Last edited:
I would mostly agree with Lou.

-FWIW, I'd leave the first bunting unidentified (leaning towards Cirl but really not sure!). Tail a bit long for Corn IMO.
-Raptor 11 has a Short-toed feel to it...
-Raptor 12, can't think of anything else than White-tailed eagle with that wing length and wings that appear to be 'pushed forward' at the tips.

I also agree with both Lou and with Tib's

The bunting could well be a Cirl and 11 to me looks 'big-headed' and better for STE.
I also think the last is WTE.

Lou you mean ;)

Keep switching threads is not healthy. All experts look the same in the end. A big blur! ;):-O

ps I first thought 1 was a Cirl, but the yellow suffusion and head pattern made me concur with Lou. It's a poor photo which confuses the ID.
I do start to see STE for the first Eagle sp. now...
Still think the 2nd Eagle is WTE.

Last edited:
It was only the size of the head/neck protrusion that made me doubt White-tailed Eagle for the last, but I'm being rather outnumbered so may have to just go with it ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back