• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bizarre Sighting (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

My third attempt today to see a Quail at Martin Down - failed on that aspect. However I did get to see a beautiful Marsh Fritillary which was a welcome sight. But the winner for 'What is that?' was a Mute Swan sitting on the edge of the ploughed areas that have been created to try and entice Stone Curlews back.

It didn't look injured, was an adult bird (well it was white) but I cannot see for the life of me how it will depart, however it might make a nice main course for someone.

I loved birding around Martin Down when I lived in Bulford. I sat on the 'bullet catcher' which was part of a wartime rifle range I think. Looking out over a ploughed patch of ground and observing 3 Stone Curlew and 3 chicks. Saw Quail there too. Not sure how long the Stone Curlew have been absent though.

Last edited:
Stone curlew haven`t been seen at that sight for at least 10yrs,along with nightingales they don`t seem to breed there anymore.

Steve.

Seen both Nightingale and Stone Curlew but not for years. There is a notice on the fenced off area which says that it is 10 (or over) years since they bred and the fenced off area is to try to encourage them back - didn't see any today and I did have quite a good look whilst admiring / feeling sorry for the Mute Swan - what a patch tick though!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back