• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reed Bunting? And Juvenile? Japan (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
I think the first photo (from Notsuke Hanto in Hokkaido, Japan) is a Reed Bunting. A female?

Is the second photo (same place, same time) a juvenile?

Thanks for help.

Attachments

• RB.jpg
    RB.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 62
  • RBJ.jpg
    RBJ.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 78
Japan's a bit out of my zone. But I get a Pallas's Reed Bunting feel for the second photo. But the culmen is curved and other features don't tally. So I'm thinking you're probably correct with your ID.

ps Are they regular in Japan?

Last edited:
Japan's a bit out of my zone. But I get a Pallas's Reed Bunting feel for the second photo. But the culmen is curved and other features don't tally. So I'm thinking you're probably correct with your ID.

ps Are they regular in Japan?

Certainly eastern Reed Buntings look different from the ones we're used to, being generally paler and with larger bills, so I thing we're good with Reed Bunting for this. I agree my first impression was Pallas's-like though apart from the bill

Thanks for the replies. Reed Bunting is fine for the area. It breeds here, and winters in more southerly parts of Japan. I needed to ask because I've never seen this bird (well, a male once in the distance at Cley a couple of years ago when on holiday in Britain). It's fairly common in the right habitat in Japan, so I'm told. But when I've been in 'the right habitat', it's always been, "Well, you can usually find them easily here, but they seem not to be showing today". So, I'm happy. I assume it's a female, as I think the winter male still has a bit of a beard.

Pallas's Reed Bunting is a 'rare winter visitor to western Japan' or 'very rare winter visitor to southern Japan' according to the books.

Thanks again for the identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back