• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info - Best Place For Great and Arctic Skua? (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
I'd like to try and photograph Great & Arctic Skua. I was planning on going to Handa, and from memory, (last visit c.30 years ago) the views were stunning. However, I don't see many good shots published even on the Handa Skuas site.

I was wondering if anywhere on Orkney or Shetland afforded better opp's.

Thanks

Edit - assuming okay to photograph notwithstanding breeding season? Handa said okay to do so.

Last edited:
Hi Steve. Must admit that the first place I thought of when reading your question was Handa. Just check the weather forecast and make sure the boat is going over first.

Rich

Hermaness on Shetland is an amazing site for great skuas as the path up to the sea-cliffs takes you through their territory. Despite their reputation for being fearsome, this colony didn't bat an eyelid - I think as long as you stay on the path.

Arctic skuas found all over Shetland, but I'm not sure where they nest, as I only ever saw them in passage flying over wherever I was. Stunning looking birds.

I suppose it might be too far and expensive, but you should be very welcome join us at Skúvoy - "skua island" in the Faroes.

I got some great shots on Handa. I'd recommend it.

Probably not in your budget, but Nome is a great place for arctic skua :)

Handa

I've been to Handa twice It's the tops, for me, for Skuas. Even had an argument with one that refused to move off the path, even when I was 10ft away from him! They like to use the lochan near the cliffs as a bath.

Attachments

• askuaHanda.jpg
    askuaHanda.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 27
  • askua2Handa.jpg
    askua2Handa.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 27
  • skuabathHanda.jpg
    skuabathHanda.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back