• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

panasonic lumix fx-01 (1 Viewer)

john1960

HI,
Has anybody used the lumix fx-01 for digiscoping,if so what are the best settings to use during operation,i find the end results grainy:-C. is there anyway round this other than buying another camera.
John

what are the best settings to use during operation,i find the end results grainy:-C.

Hi John,

I use the FX01 and I am quite satisfied with it. It has some shortcomings but especially in good light it works OK. The weakest links of this camera are its extremely noisy sensor and aggressive noise reduction.

I use the "red camera" setting, ISO80, -1/3EV (adjust by live histogram), hi-speed serial shooting, OIS off or in position "2" when handholding. Well, that's about it - it doesn't let you adjust many settings ;). ISO200 is IMO the highest usable sensitivity, and even that is quite noisy. At all costs avoid using the "auto-ISO" or ISO1600 settings which surely make the pics look grainy. :t:

Good luck,

Ilkka

Unfortunately Noise is a problem with most Panasonics today, I found my FZ50 will go to Iso 400 given good light, but dont change the reduction setting from low Ernie

What setting do you use on the w balance do u leave it set in auto?

In the daylight I mostly leave it in auto (or in "daylight" setting), but it seems that the images would often benefit from manual adjustment - it is actually quite easy with the FX01 but I am just usually too lazy to do it.

Ilkka

In the daylight I mostly leave it in auto (or in "daylight" setting), but it seems that the images would often benefit from manual adjustment - it is actually quite easy with the FX01 but I am just usually too lazy to do it.

Ilkka

Thanks again,:t:
One more question,what scene mode do use if any.
Regards
John

Thanks again Ilkka,
I will give your suggestions a try and hopefully my images and technique
will improve.
Kind Regards
John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back