• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 300mm f/2.8 VR -vs- Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX (1 Viewer)

by60434

I already own the Bigma which I use with a D80, I am on the look out for a Prime telephoto to supplement the Bigma.

I am looking at the following lenses:

Nikon 300mm f/2.8G VR
or
Sigma 300mm f/2.8 EX DG.

Please help me choose between the two with your feed back. Does the Nikon justify the higher price tag. These lenses along with the Bigma will be used for Bird and wildlife photography in India.

Second option I am considering is:

Get rid of the Bigma,

then,

One of the above two lenses along with a Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX.

I'll be left without a long zoom in the second case as I only own a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8G and a Nikon 105mm f/2.8G Macro, in addition to the Bigma now.

I have read that in the Jungles of India being stuck with only Prime Lenses is a disadvantage, but then I will not be spending weeks every year in the Jungle. Will this be a disadvantage only with respect to Indian Jungles like situation or will it be applicable for day to day birding too. Any advice will be much appreciated.

TIA

Madan Subramanian
Bangalore, India.

Last edited:
Hi Madan:

I was recently in the same boat as you and I had a chance of trying the 300 VR and I was sold, then I saw some results with a TC 20E (which usually are very bad, not this time the pictures were flawless and it was by all means a "600mm f5.6") after that I was double sold.

I have no experience with the Bigma so I cant say if it is better or not, but you cant go wrong with the Nikon. I already have a 200-400 and I was looking for something to pair with and I found that the 300 will be the best compromise for now.

Good luck.

Madan,

The AF-S 300 F2.8 VR, is a wonderful lens, faultless, but it’s twice the cost of the Sigma. I’m not going to recommend that you go for the Nikon, but try if you can, to sample both lenses at a retailer and judge the results on the D80 yourself.

In the end it’s your decision, as only you know just what you want to achieve from your equipment.

Numael, pe'rigin thank you for your posts.

I'll give the 300s a good look for now and decide on the 500 vs Bigma later.

pe'rigin I read a thread somewhere about a photographer falling off a cliff walking back with a prime :).

Madan,

It wasn't me, thankfully. Though I did slide down on my butt down a scree slope in Norway, holding the camera in the air.

I would recommend getting a good bag to carry the gear around though.

You aiming to have a similar set-up to myself.

Different camera, but I have the 600 F4, the 300, 200mm and 105 Nikon VR's. I don't think that you can go wrong with any of your choices. The main thing is still to enjoy going out into the open whatever kit you have.

Other people will have better equipment than you or the latest models, get better images, it doesn't matter one hoot, as long as you are doing what you want to do. Photography should be fun with a real sense of achievement.

It is generally considered that the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 zoom is sharper than the Sigma 300mm prime........food for thought!
Regards Rob.

Madan,

Other people will have better equipment than you or the latest models, get better images, it doesn't matter one hoot, as long as you are doing what you want to do. Photography should be fun with a real sense of achievement.

Yes I agree with you. I am here for the joy!

My first hobby is Aquariums, especially planted aquariums. I got my Nikon 17-55 and Micro Nikkor 105 to photograph aquariums and fish. Along the way I have got hooked on the photography as a complete hobby on it's own.

I am admin for an aquarium website informing people of the mistakes I committed starting off with aquariums and how to avoid them.

After being burnt once I am careful the second time around. Hence the questions and appreciation for any advise received.

@ Rob,

I'll look into it too, thanks for the pointer.

Hi pe'rigin,

The Nikon 105 VR is an excellent lens for fish and reef tanks. That was one good choice.
I want to make another Good choice for my new found photography and birding interest now.

I have the Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG and it's an amazing lens... incredibly sharp even wide open and remains very very sharp with the Sigma EX 2x teleconverter, specially if closed down to f/6.3 and above.

The AF is very fast and silent and the lens is built like a tank, very professional. The drop-in polarizer (included) is nice too. Highly reccomend it.

This photo shows how sharp it can be... this is at f/6.3 with a TC 2x on: http://www.octaviosalles.com.br/bird_photos/_DAC5290.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back