• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (27 Viewers)

Tonights roost count at the Moors is as follows:

Shelduck 3
Shoveller 6
Tufted Duck 30
G/C Grebe 4
Lt Grebe 3
Coot 30
Oycs 2
Lapwing 1
W. Warbler 1
G. Heron 1
M. Swan 2
Moorhen 4
C. Geese 18
Greylag 1

Count was done from the west hide, so obviously lots missed on the east side, will do a count from the east hide tomorrow evening :t:

Willow Warbler was showing outside hide, and sorry to say Dave not a sign of any Sand Martins. It was interesting to note that as I was leaving about 70% - 80% of the Black Heads took off towards the flashes, don't know if this is the norm?

P.S. I saw 21 Red Kites at Stipperstones in Shropshire on monday

.....Willow Warbler was showing outside hide, and sorry to say Dave not a sign of any Sand Martins. ..........

Cheers Gav - that would fit my theory that the ones seen at Upton during the day are probably roosting down here - estimated 400 roosting at Coney Meadow again tonight.

Before my public humiliation 8-P Let it be known that I am aware that I've not paid. Recognising any of you is a problem and as I'm quite a shy little flower I've not been inclined to offer all occupants of the hide £1!

I will make a better attempt to hand over the cash next time I'm there, promise!o:D

I know who you are Roger I will be lurking 8-P
:t: John

Yep! Think I need to just sit around at Upton for the whole month of April. Although if last year is anything to go by I'll be on the Flashes when one flies over Moors and vice versa.

Just Red Kite and something else to reach 200 B :)

Your not the only one who needs it for Upton would be my 209th|8(|

Yep! Think I need to just sit around at Upton for the whole month of April. Although if last year is anything to go by I'll be on the Flashes when one flies over Moors and vice versa.

Just Red Kite and something else to reach 200 B :)

Yep and while you are waiting get some maps and help with the breeding survey:smoke:

Highlights for today

Moors
4 oystercatchers
Med gull
G C Grebe 4
little grebe 1

Flashes
16 Avocet
1 Green Sandpiper
2 oystercatcher
5 LRP
4 Gadwell

It was noticed that one of the Avocets was limping

Also there seems to be 4 gulls killed over the last few days is this down to Mink ? one looks like it is still sitting on nest any thoughts.

Highlights for today

Also there seems to be 4 gulls killed over the last few days is this down to Mink ? one looks like it is still sitting on nest any thoughts.

Hi Mark
over the years I have seen many BHG dead all over the flashes. Possibly due to salmonella poisoning picked up off land fill sites. Outwardly many of them look ok, I suppose as you get more gulls gathering in an area you get proportionally more sick ones.
They seem to stay away from the main flock and just sit around appearing unperturbed, the next day they are invariably dead.
I'm sure some of the lads will have more to add to this.
B :)John

Early visit to the Flashes
16 Avocet still
4 LRP
4 Gadwall
25 Teal
2 Pairs of Lapwing still
Blackcap
4 Chiffchaff
Water Rail
1 Redshank
2 Buzzards mating in oak to r/h side of Tower Hide

with Blackcap this brings my total to an unremarkable 92 species this year.
Few pics per link below of displaying Lapwing also unremarkable except that I took these with my mobile phone!
Cheers
Gert
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildgert/5562698262/

Gert, you do yourself a disservice. 92 species seems to me to be a good personal count just 3 months into the year. I am trailing you by 9 - a swallow at the Moors Pool being my 83rd UW year tick on Sunday evening.

I will be visiting UW early tomorrow morning. My target birds are: Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Water Rail, Jack Snipe and Kestrel.

Has anyone seen a kestrel at UW in recent weeks? I see them regularly near my workplace at Defford and even saw one at Fernhill Heath on Wednesday while driving back to Worcester from UW. Where are the kestrels at Upton Warren?:h?:

March finished with the reserve on 108 species, considerably ahead of where we normally are (the best end of March figure in recent years was 104).

April has the potential to add birds at the rate of nearly one a day. New birds expected to be encountered in April included:

Little Gull, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Common Sand, Hobby, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Cuckoo, Little Egret, Garganey, Swift, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Wheatear, Whinchat, Redstart, Grasshopper Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Yellow Wagtail

There is also the possibility of:

Turnstone, Sanderling, Bar-tailed Godwit, Sandwich Tern

Gert, you do yourself a disservice. 92 species seems to me to be a good personal count just 3 months into the year. I am trailing you by 9 - a swallow at the Moors Pool being my 83rd UW year tick on Sunday evening.

I will be visiting UW early tomorrow morning. My target birds are: Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Water Rail, Jack Snipe and Kestrel.

Has anyone seen a kestrel at UW in recent weeks? I see them regularly near my workplace at Defford and even saw one at Fernhill Heath on Wednesday while driving back to Worcester from UW. Where are the kestrels at Upton Warren?:h?:
Hi Andy
re Kestrel 18th Jan was the only one I've seen this year.
I will wait for the call tomorrow after you find a 'goody':t:
I have seen 91 so Gert you are doing well.
B :)John

March finished with the reserve on 108 species, considerably ahead of where we normally are (the best end of March figure in recent years was 104).

April has the potential to add birds at the rate of nearly one a day. New birds expected to be encountered in April included:

Little Gull, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Common Sand, Hobby, Osprey, Marsh Harrier, Cuckoo, Little Egret, Garganey, Swift, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Wheatear, Whinchat, Redstart, Grasshopper Warbler, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Yellow Wagtail

There is also the possibility of:

Turnstone, Sanderling, Bar-tailed Godwit, Sandwich Tern

there is a common tern at sandwell vally today, so maybe one at upton by the weekend :)
also garganey in staffs, and yellow wag at shenstone, all looking good....
MB

....................Where are the kestrels at Upton Warren?:h?:

I've only seen Kestrel on four occasions this year which is considerably below par. In previous years I've seen them performing display flights in early spring at Upton - circling around with 'shivering' wingbeats. Hopefully, they'll become more obvious in the coming weeks. However, it seems they may've suffered a local decline - hopefully only temporary.

I added three species last weekend (Blackcap, Swallow and Willow Warbler) - I think that puts me on 97. Hoping to make the ton by close of play on Sunday evening. B :)

Just the usual annual reminder to keep your eyes and ears open for any suspicious activity at Upton Warren over the course of the breeding season. We are assuming that most of the clutches lost last year were due to predation but we cant be sure.

If you see anyone acting strangely or asking odd questions please contact one of the numbers in the front of the hide log-books. I will also be adding the contact number for Bromsgrove police station.

Hi all,
It is interesting to here about the lack of Kestrel sightings at Upton this year. We too at Belvide have suffered the same decline. I have only had 4 sightings of birds flying through. There is no sign of any birds hunting or holding territory. My personel theory is that they have succumbed to the harsh December weather. Could be a good bonus bird on the May day list.

Cheers Steve

Early visit to the Flashes this morning with the blustery southerlies and drizzle looking promising.

2 Willow Warbler were new for the Flashes anyway but other than that nothing else. Still present were Avocet back to 16, thanks to Sy's counting, 1 Redshank, 1 Green Sandpiper, 4 LRP, and the 2 pairs of Lapwing.

Gadwall numbers have swelled by one extra male and the 4 males were displaying nicely to the single female present.

Rook, Goldcrest and a few Chiffs completed proceedings for me at 7.45 but I suspect that Andy (Spoonbill Finder) and Sy who are in it for the day should pick up a goodn'

With Willow Warbler - 93..

With apologies to those taken in by an April Fools jibe..

Cheers

Gert

Highlights for today

Moors
4 oystercatchers
Med gull
G C Grebe 4
little grebe 1

Flashes
16 Avocet
1 Green Sandpiper
2 oystercatcher
5 LRP
4 Gadwell

It was noticed that one of the Avocets was limping

Yesterday two Buzzards were taking an interest in the Crows nest, the Oak to the right of the Flashes when looking from the hide (maybe old news?)
Pic below, does the nest seem to be larger than it was?

Link to LRP's, the male strutting then mating (just click on images to increase size).
Image of Lapwing on its nest.

Stuart

http://www.stuartandrews.net/p796328188
http://www.stuartandrews.net/p737824636/h47393ac#h47393ac

Attachments

• buzzard Upton Warren Flashes, 31 March 2010_web.jpg
    buzzard Upton Warren Flashes, 31 March 2010_web.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 55
Good morning from the Flashes. So far today we have had:
16 Avocet
4 LRP
2 Oycs
1 Green Sand
1 Redshank
1 Snipe
5 Gadwall
R Shelduck
1 Willow Warbler
6 Rooks
2 Jay
4 Stock Dove
1 Water Rail
1 Heron
3 Pied Wags
2 LBBG
4 Tufted Duck
2 Chiffchaff and whatever else I've missed posting this.
P.S. It's cold and dark!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back