• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Very busy at the bird feeder today! (3 Viewers)

Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow (fly-by)
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow
Carolina Wren

* Might still get Carolina Wren, Mourning Dove, etc.

Last edited:
Number of species so far this morning is somewhat reduced.
Cooper's Hawk (#20)
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

3 Siskins today was a highest count for this winter, also a Redpoll, 2 Bullfinch and a GSW.

Blue Tits have started investigating the local nest boxes.

Last edited:
Birds at feeders this morning, more or less in the order in which they appeared.
Tufted Titmouse
American Goldfinch
Downy Woodpecker
Carolina Wren
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Black-capped Chickadee
House Sparrow
Blue Jay
European Starling
House Finch
Dark-eyed Junco
Red-bellied Woodpecker
White-breasted Nuthatch

Had a LTT trying to get into the Conservatory today. I thought at first it was attacking its own reflection but figured after a while it wanted to get to the Yucca plant it could see. It perched on the window sill for ages just looking through the window at it.

Pair of Bullfinch were the highlights as well as a Wood Mouse, 2 Foxes and a Badger last night caught on video.

Nice showing of some woodpeckers this morning with some of the regulars:

Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker

White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
European Starling
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Male Sparrowhawk sat on the birdbath this morning with glorious sunshine..... I snook past the window to get my camera where it saw me, glared at me and then waited for me to get the camera out and focused before flying as I hit the trigger......

Wren
2 Pied Wagtails over
and over run with Chaffinch

This morning's birds at our backyard feeders:
House Finch
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch
American Robin
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
Common Grackle
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-bellied Woodpecker

Cedar Waxwings were being cute in our backyard yesterday. They were giving each other little bouquets of blossoms.
Saw many more Cedar Waxwings at work today. The flock is up to around 500. If other years are any guide, the flock should double in size by the end of the month.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Good evening everyone.

I have recently joined Bird Forum and just found this thread this evening, which I have been very interested to read people's recent postings.

As I work from home in South Norfolk, I am regularly distracted by the view from my home office window and other windows in the house, to see the birds that come into our garden in South Norfolk.

So, I often look up from my office desk / computer to see what is flying by, has landed on the garden, or the grassed field and woodland beyond , or the trees, hedge in our garden, or even wander outside, lol, from time to time....

I am not regularly feeding the birds , but wondered if I could join the thread , to record what arrives / I see?

Best wishes, Carol :gh::gh:

Good evening everyone.

I have recently joined Bird Forum and just found this thread this evening, which I have been very interested to read people's recent postings.

As I work from home in South Norfolk, I am regularly distracted by the view from my home office window and other windows in the house, to see the birds that come into our garden in South Norfolk.

So, I often look up from my office desk / computer to see what is flying by, has landed on the garden, or the grassed field and woodland beyond , or the trees, hedge in our garden, or even wander outside, lol, from time to time....

I am not regularly feeding the birds , but wondered if I could join the thread , to record what arrives / I see?

Welcome aboard Carol....... get contributing :t: its all interesting stuff even if you think that todays birds were not that exciting its usually different to some else's garden. Of course its a good time to see the birds coming alive as the mornings warm up and they get territorial, or starting courting behaviour.

Dave

:gh::gh: Thank you for your warm welcome, Dave :)

Good morning everyone :-O:-O:-O

Ok , here goes :
Tuesday 17/03
1) 1 Moorhen;
2 5 Mallards, a pair, with a drake following/ chasing! and 2 other drakes; plus female sitting on eggs in nest in front of our front door;
3) Pair of Pheasants;
4) pair of Blackbirds;
5) 3 Goldfinch, including a pair and carrying feathers in beak;
6) Large flock, c 40, of mainly Fieldfare , but including 7) c 4 Redwing and 8) 1 Mistle Thrush on periphery;
9) 3 Red Legged Partridges;
10) Magpie flying over;
11) 2 pairs Jackdaws in tree at end of garden;
12) Woodpigeon;
13) Male kestrel using our chimneys pots ( from 1850) as a perching post to survey for hunting from

The above were all but 13) seen from my home office window over a c 30 minute period, whilst looking up from my desk / computer.. the last from inside our car.

Wednesday 18/03 saw, in addition:
14) Great Tit
[/B]15) Large Flock , mainly Starlings , c 60, but including some Fieldfare

looking back at my notes from Monday 16/03 includes a group of 23 woodpigeon feeding together, 2 male pheasants posturing to fight;16) 2 Carrion Crows flying over, at different times ; 17) flock of Rooks

My office window view is over a grassed field ( no feeders)...farmers cattle due to arrive soon there , with ancient woods behind.

As a keen amateur, I must confess that I do find it hard to count larger flocks, which are moving over the grass, like 6) above, or flying together, like 17) above...hopefully I will get better with practice.

Hope you all enjoy the birds that you see in your gardens today :gh::gh::gh:

Welcome aboard Carol....... get contributing :t: its all interesting stuff even if you think that todays birds were not that exciting its usually different to some else's garden. Of course its a good time to see the birds coming alive as the mornings warm up and they get territorial, or starting courting behaviour.

Dave

Last edited:
Male Sparrowhawk sat on the birdbath this morning with glorious sunshine..... I snook past the window to get my camera where it saw me, glared at me and then waited for me to get the camera out and focused before flying as I hit the trigger......

Wren
2 Pied Wagtails over
and over run with Chaffinch
How fab to get a Sparrowhawk, Dave .. :t::t: I am not expecting to EVER see that in our garden, lol.. the nearest are c 8 miles away at Norwich Cathedral...what is the situation of your garden, Dave, what are you near to , how large is it, do you have water in it , a woodland, trees etc ??

This morning's birds at our backyard feeders:
House Finch
Dark-eyed Junco
American Goldfinch
American Robin
House Sparrow
Downy Woodpecker
European Starling
Common Grackle
White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Good morning Larry,

What a privilege to get woodpeckers at your feeders... we regularly get green woodpeckers, male / female and juvenile, in our garden here, drumming / looking for ants on our lawn ( old orchard trees below the ground, removed before we came to the house in 2001), although we are not feeding the birds, at present .

What is the situation of your garden please? What size is it ? Do you have water/ trees/ woodland? etc... I know that. like me, you like to look out of the window

Best wishes for a continued recovery, Carol :gh::gh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back