• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Raystown Lake, PA Rat snake. (1 Viewer)

Redbecka

While boating over the summer, I was relaxing and when all the sudden I hear my husband telling me I should move. I looked behind me and this is what I saw just a couple of feet behind me.

Attachments

• 1017090_10200141395760897_2095452158_n.jpg
    1017090_10200141395760897_2095452158_n.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 210
But don't try to pick one up if you don't know how - water snakes will always try to bite, and they have very sharp teeth for holding fish, with saliva that has an anti-coagulant in it.

I didn't blow up the thumbnail until holzphoto posted, and now agree it's a Black Rat Snake. I think the confusion here comes from the fact that as Northern Water Snakes age, they become darker and their patterning fades a lot. Black Rat Snakes are sometimes just jet black, but can also show some faint patterning like an old water snake as here:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/ce/eek/critter/reptile/blackratsnake.htm
which is very similar to the pic.

I think the most important field mark for separating them is the sharp line of contrast this snake shows between the dark scales on the dorsal side (upper side) of the head, and the unmarked light scales on the ventral side (underside) of the head. That sharp contrast line does not appear on Northern Water Snakes.

cool, i grew up near seymour, in.

i dunno, i guess i have been so into snakes all my life, especially hoosier and kentucky snakes that they are very easy for me to tell apart.

I'll agree that it is a Rat Snake. For one thing it is in a tree and they are arboreal. Here is a u-tube of one that looks like the on in Post #1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJsFmvRfHQk

One of these guys is a naturalist associated with the local Audubon society and the other one writes an outdoor column for one of our local newspapers.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back