• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in the Chilterns (1 Viewer)

alex berryman

I'm looking for a good spot to photograph (with my 500mm lens) Red Kites around anywhere between Reading and High Wycombe. I have heard about locals feeding the birds which would be ideal if anyone is willing to give me exact locations. PM if you do not wish to publicly announce this.

Many Thanks

Alex

I always watch them around ibstone,have had some fantastic views there and stokenchurch,also if you drive around some of the lanes you come up with some fantastic views.
I had one not 5 feet from my car perched in a bush in ibstone,didn't seem bothered by me either

Anywhere along the A4155 Reading to Henley road will offer good views and there are lots of field entrances where you can pull in to watch/photograph.

This isn't quite in the Chilterns but i saw a few red kites at close hand from the top of a hill called (i think) Gallows Down, which is fairly close to Newbury. It's a pretty steep hill rising out of otherwise fairly flat land, and is big and steep enough for local paragliders to throw themselves off. It also seemed to be a good place for kites to gather at and ride the thermals/up drafts caused by the slope. I was sat eating my lunch and watched them drift quite low overhead hunting for food.

Welcome mafu!

I think you are talking about Inkpen Beacon near to where Combe Gibbet is situated? We have seen several Red Kites there - and the views are breathtaking too on a clear day. (See below!)

Attachments

• 100_9144.jpg
    100_9144.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 48
Inkpen Beacon is lovely. Fab photo by the way!

Re the Kites, would second Watlington Hill. Another lovely viewpoint and there's always loads of them. There's some very pretty villages and good boozers in the vicinity as well if you fancy a pub lunch.

Mind you, you'd be hard pushed not to get some excellent Kite views anywhere in the Reading/Henley/Wallingford/Watlington area including right in the middle of Reading. There's rarely a point in the day when there aren't a few circling overhead.

Chinnor is a good place to get reliable close-up views. Bledlow Ridge is even better. Back when they were first being released that was the area where people were feeding them "unofficially". I'm not sure if it still happens there, having moved away, and people will probably be reluctant to discuss exact locations - putting fresh meat out in your garden isn't a universally popular thing to do!

If you want photos of birds in flight and don't mind them being a bit distant, anywhere with a clear view of the ridge at Bledlow Ridge will do. My dad used to go to a pub to the south of Radnage which had cracking views from the car park.

Anywhere in the general Stokenchurch/Chinnor area you have to be pretty unlucky to spend any significant time looking and not get a decent close-up view.

Stokenchurch is almost unbeatable, although if you don't want to go that far either just west of Greywell (around Five Lanes End) or near the Wellington Monument where the road north from Hartley Wintney joins the A33, both offer close views.

John

We live in Arborfield (just off the A327 to Reading) and get Kite's nearly everyday. Today we had three and a pair of Buzzards, all within 15 minutes.

Tony

Chesham

You'll be pretty unlucky to spend long in our garden without seeing one, a couple of young ones also come down from time to time for food :)

There are plenty around here in Chesham and along the ridges to the North and West,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back