• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tripod for 500mm F4 Mki (1 Viewer)

I don't have a 500f4 (mores the pity) but if I did I think I'd want a more stable tripod than that one............8kg max load sounds too flimsy.

If amazon UK sells Benro or Feisol I'd look at them as reasonably priced options.

Try to avoid a leg set with a centre column as in my experience with a theoretically very stable tripod, with the centre column right down still had movement.
Hi, I've just got myself a 2010 500mm lens and I need a tripod to support it with my 393 gimbal. I have some amazon vouchers from work so I'd prefer to buy it from there if possible. Can someone advise as to whether the following one is suitable to support my lens and head. It's max load is 8kg. Hope you can help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manfrotto-055CXPRO3-Carbon-Section-Lightweight/dp/tech-data/B001EZWJTU/ref=de_a_smtd

Thanks

Simon

Having owned the Aluminium Manfrotto 55 and tried the carbon version - they are not adequate for your lens.
The first thing to do is forget weight ratings, they tell you virtually nothing that you need to know. What you need to know is if the tripod is rigid enough and is it light enough to carry with the lens, camera etc. I am afraid that a suitable model will not be cheap! My personal choice is the Gitzo 3530LS (for my 400mm F2.8 or longer lenses)) - which has now been superseded but there are still a few out there, I do not rate the newer model as it is heavier and overpriced. There are some nice tripods available from Sirui (if you can find them) and Feisol - both less expensive than Gitzo but still pricey.
Don't skimp as you will regret it and end up spending more.

This one looks about right (though I have not used it personally): http://www.feisol.com/0823tripodsdetails-2.html

Last edited:
Hi LensNV, that is the same model I am looking at, and probably will go for 4 sections which is GT3542LS will get it from Wex too.

Hi LensNV, that is the same model I am looking at, and probably will go for 4 sections which is GT3542LS will get it from Wex too.

If you don't need the shorter collapsed length then I would go for the 3 section version as the bottom leg section is thicker and they are quicker to set up - either will do the job VERY well though!

That is the new version of my Gitzo 3530ls systematic and would be perfect for your lens. The only proviso I would make is that the older version is slightly lighter and mine was 200 quid less.

If you don't need the shorter collapsed length then I would go for the 3 section version as the bottom leg section is thicker and they are quicker to set up - either will do the job VERY well though!

I will not hesitate to buy that tripod at £200 but used Gitzo are pretty hard to find these days even at eBay.

I find 4 section maybe better for travelling and easy for custom checking?

Simon, you will have to ring wex for the delivery for the weekend :)

mpe, yes you are right with Feisol and I am very intrigued with their product and price performance it is unbeatable.

Thanks for all the advice. OK, Just before I take the plunge I'm going to order the following: Can you confirm this will be fine. If I order today I should have it for the weekend. Thanks

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-gitzo-gt3542ls-series-3-6x-systematic-tripod/p1529759

As I stated in my previous post, this tripod is about as good as it gets for your 500 - you will be delighted with it!
I have played with/own/used some Feisol and Sirui products and rate them very highly for the price however to get the same level of rigidity and vibration damping you need to go up one leg thickness. That is not a problem, just something to bear in mind.
For a Canon 500 the Gitzo 3542/3532 is spot on IMO.
You might have guessed that I am a bit if a Gitzo fan, probably why I have 4!

Just to let you know I got the gitzo gt3542ls in the end and I'm very pleased with it. Great tripod. Bit off though that for that price you don't get a decent bag with it !. Still a very nice item though with some nice touches.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back