• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here to announce a brown magpie sighting (1 Viewer)

waxyjo

None of my friends seem anywhere near as excited about this bird as I am. I think it's a real beauty.

He lives locally and this photo was taken from my window, where he had happily perched, enjoying the attention he's getting from me no doubt o:)

Attachments

• 1-IMG_7178.JPG
    1-IMG_7178.JPG
    763.5 KB · Views: 277
Hi waxyjo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Would you believe we get excited about any sighting of Magpie round here, there quite rare in this area LOL. I had the first one in the garden here just a few weeks ago.

You've taken a fine picture of this leucistic guy. Very well well spotting him.

Hi and welcome to Bird Forum.

Thanks for posting the picture. There was a similar bird around Sandwell Valley several years ago and another around Sheepwash LNR in Great Bridge. These birds were both biscuit coloured instead of black and were quite striking. Always interesting to see these unusual colour mutations in otherwise common birds. Let’s hope it sticks around.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to Bird Forum.

Thanks for posting the picture. There was a similar bird around Sandwell Valley several years ago and another around Sheepwash LNR in Great Bridge. These birds were both biscuit coloured instead of black and were quite striking. Always interesting to see these unusual colour mutations in otherwise common birds. Let’s hope it sticks around.

Cheers

Thanks Corvis, it's good to hear about another of this kind nearby.

I appreciate the welcome all.... I live in the city, so don't get to see enough unusual birds but I love my magpie friend. She's beginning to recognise my voice now too.
😊

MyrtleUpdate

Hi All,

Thank you for your responses, I wanted to give a little update.

I call my magpie friend Myrtle and she’s doing really well! She has a black and white mate and they generally hang around in a foursome. Since she’s so distinctive and beautiful I often talk to her and she puts her head on one side and looks at me. Sometimes she peers into my bedroom window at me, as if to say “good morning.”

She has a lovely nature and seems more gentle and upbeat then her crew. I love watching her explore the undergrowth and slide around in the snow for fun <3

I’ve got quite a lot of great photos of her now, so I will enter a couple into the competition. If you want to keep tabs on her, I do add pictures onto my Instagram account (also Waxyjo).

Best wishes, Jo

Thanks for the update Jo. It sounds like you have a lot of fun observing these guys.

We'd love to see some of your pictures in the Gallery here too, we don't often get to see these brown ones ... and actually I rarely see Magpies at all, they're quite rare in this are.

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back