• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice please on Swarovski scopes (1 Viewer)

gossypots

I have been birdwatching for a few years now,but only with binoculars.I was going to treat myself to a scope , but would like a bit of advice off anyone on here please.First of all if you could buy any scope which one would you choose ? and secondly are scopes better than bins for all types of birding.Thanks Gossy.

Kowa 883! - though I dare say you'll get a wide range of answers from other members.

Actually any of the top range scopes are very good - none are the 'best' as preference is down to personal choice and design. There's half a dozen very good performers. For me I think Swarovski still takes the lead for optics, design and compactness - my one niggle is the helical focus which I find isn't as finley controllable for digiscoping.

As for binos versus scope - to me they serve different purposes. I think a decent pair of binoculars is far more useful than a scope. Scopes are fine for viewing very distant birds on, but a decent pair of binoculars can be taken and used anywhere.

Hi i love my swarovski scope,i have the 80hd ats version the optics are fabulous however some of swarovski's accesories are overlooked ie the cases and attention to detail which i cannot understand why swarovski have decided to put the filter thread right on the end of the lens hood to me this is pointless it neither protects the lens nor does it block the light can anyone tell me why?.theese things aside this is a wonderfull scope well worth the cost i take mine everywhere.i hope this helps neil.

As for binos versus scope - to me they serve different purposes. I think a decent pair of binoculars is far more useful than a scope. Scopes are fine for viewing very distant birds on, but a decent pair of binoculars can be taken and used anywhere.

I totally agree that the two serve different purposes, and they complement each other to a large extent, but it always staggers me that so many people put one above the other (ie. bins above scope). To someone who has grown accustomed to owning and using a scope regularly, it's easy to forget what life was like with only binoculars. A scope (even a relatively cheap one) provides close-up views of birds, and a level of detail that simply isn't possible with binoculars. Buy one at the first opportunity you get if you're serious! It'll completely transform your enjoyment of birds, and you won't regret it for a minute!

Thanks for the advice everyone.Just one more query,if I buy the swarv ats 80hd do i need to purchase an additional lens for it.I've been reading on here and it seems there are 3 different lenses you can get ie.30x 45x and zoom ?

Thanks for the advice everyone.Just one more query,if I buy the swarv ats 80hd do i need to purchase an additional lens for it.I've been reading on here and it seems there are 3 different lenses you can get ie.30x 45x and zoom ?

When you buy a scope, the high end ones at least, you buy the body. You also need to buy an eyepiece. It's your choice whether it's a fixed one such as 20x, 30x, 40x etc or a zoom such as the 20-60x. Many people have just one. On some scopes the quality of the zoom eyepiece can be an issue, but on the Swaro scopes it's as good as the fixed ones.

Thanks Ian for clearing that up,I take it you have the swaro scope,even though I notice fromyour earlier thread youprefer Kowa ?

My last scope was a Kowa 823. I was gifted a Swarovski ATS80HD so I sold the Kowa and have regretted it ever since. The Swarovski is a first rate scope, but I found the the Kowa better suited to digiscoping as it had finger tip focus control. Optically the Swarovski is brighter with a zoom that can be used throughout it's range. It's also a more compact lighter weight design.

As I said in my original post, amongst the top end scopes there isn't much to choose between them, personal preference of the design carries much more weight as performance wise they're pretty much equal. You really need to get your hands on them at a dealer or optics fair or even whilst out birding at a lake or pond - most peolpe don't mind you having a look through their scope.

Ian , thanks for all the advice, just one more thing though.There's about £300 difference in price between the ats65 hd and the ats80 hd,how much of a difference is there in the 2 scopes and would you pay the extra for the bigger model.Thanks again.

When you buy a scope, the high end ones at least, you buy the body. You also need to buy an eyepiece. It's your choice whether it's a fixed one such as 20x, 30x, 40x etc or a zoom such as the 20-60x. Many people have just one. On some scopes the quality of the zoom eyepiece can be an issue, but on the Swaro scopes it's as good as the fixed ones.

I mildly disagree. As an eyeglass wearer I found the Swarovski zoom was not as congenial as the fixed lenses--smaller field of view, not as bright, and this varied in odd ways throughout the range. Everyone seems delighted with the view through the 30x, and I'm currently using the 45x almost as much. Might even eventually get the 20x for bird counts. But one has to take this on faith because dealers tend to stock the zoom only.

Steve

Ian , thanks for all the advice, just one more thing though.There's about £300 difference in price between the ats65 hd and the ats80 hd,how much of a difference is there in the 2 scopes and would you pay the extra for the bigger model.Thanks again.
It depends on your type of birding. If you're planning on carrying the scope a long way, say backpacking then the 65mm model maybe more suitable, but if for general usage I'd always go for the 80mm - larger field of view and generally far better light gathering so a brighter view as well.

Don't forget you'll need a decent sturdy tripod as well - it's just as important as the scope itself.

As regards eyeglasses, I wear spectacles and have no problem with the zoom. I have the 30x as well, but mostly use the zoom - it's much more versatile for when you want to get a good close look.

I opted for the 80HD over the 65HD, and there is a difference, but not a big difference. You only really notice it when using the zoom at 60x, when a little more detail is available with the 80, but not that much.

I mainly opted for the bigger objective as I use it for digiscoping, because a camera is more sensitive to lower light levels than the human eye.

As for the extra weight, I personally don't find it a problem. When you consider that you'll also be carrying a tripod with it the extra 300 or so grams doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

It depends on your type of birding. If you're planning on carrying the scope a long way, say backpacking then the 65mm model maybe more suitable, but if for general usage I'd always go for the 80mm - larger field of view and generally far better light gathering so a brighter view as well.

I on't think that there is an difference in the field of view between the 65 and 80mm Swarovski scopes. Peronally I went for the 65 as I wanted the smaller, lighter option - I use it with the zoom and it performs very well even at 60x. I think for general birding the 65 is fine, but the 80 does have the edge for digiscoping...

Joking aside, it might be worth looking into the Kowa 773 or 774, roughly speaking the same price as a swaro 65 but with a 77mm objective should the size and weight be an issue for you.

Also as others may have said the best thing is to try them for your self, the zeiss are up there and there will be a new lieca 65 out next year.

Ian

Can I ask what it is you liked about your Kowa so much, is just the focus mech or do you prefer the colour cast more.

I liked both the view and the colour cast from the Kowa, but mostly it was for the digiscoping results. Certainly with the Nikon CP4500 I prefered the Kowa over the Swarovski mostly because of the finer focus control which could be adjusted with just a light finger touch. With the Swarovski the optics are brighter and crisper for viewing but having to grab the helical focus ring sets up vibration so I tend to rely more on the camera being able to adjust to correct focus.

Each manufcaturer has as slightly different colour cast to the optics, so it's down to personal preference. The Kowa wasn't bad but I think the Swarovski tops it for me for viewing clarity.

Hi gossypots,
There have been some good points raised on this thread. Its really personal preference on most optics. I used to have a Kowa 823M and for value for money its a fantastic scope especially with the 30x. Unfortunately it had an accident and I upgraded to the Swarovski 80hd with a 30x eyepiece and it is also a great scope. A friend said to me even if I had to sell a kidney get the 80. It will come into play during low light conditions. Go to a field day and test as many scopes as possible. Good luck
Ade

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back