• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acrylic glaze technique? (1 Viewer)

desgreene

I'm working on an acrylic painting on textured board, that will require thin glazes to achieve an effect of clear stream water.

I believe one of the tricks is to flat out any texture in the board you are working on, but I never seem to be able to achieve this completely. So, when I tried this previously I got pools of glaze rather than a uniform glaze.

Any hints or tips you good people know of that can make a success of this technique for me?

Cheers,
Des.

though heaven forbid I offer advice on acrylics (another one disappeared under collage the other day!) I might suggest using very thin watered-down layers built up to produce a glaze, blobs are formed by the water sitting on the paper, causing the pigment to build up around the edges (suface tension or somesuch).

Acrylics will break down if thinned too much with water, it's something I often use to my advantage as it helps to create textures that I wouldn't otherwise get. The trick is to find the consistency just before the pigment breakdown occurs. The only way is experimentation on scrap bits of your chosen support, on paper/board the water soaks in and produces one effect and, on gessoed mdf or canvas, another.

Different pigments behave differently too, Van Dyke red and sap green are transparent whereas red oxide and chromium oxide green are opaque and, although it says different on the tube, I've always found raw umber to be pretty much transparent too.

Prepare for some unexpected results at first but you'll soon find the right pigments and consistency. Good luck!

Mike

Desgreene- are you thinning the acrylic with water, or with acrylic medium? After many years of piss-stain effects and general heartbreak with thin acrylics, I finally discovered use of medium and that at least for me has made acrylics much more useable in layers.

and, although it says different on the tube, I've always found raw umber to be pretty much transparent too.

Mike

Woody- that's caught my eye (with apologies if its off your topic Desg). I'm struggling with an effort at painting some water at the moment and am finding exactly what you describe- very hard to get raw umber to cover anything. Currently I am lacing it with a dark blue to give it some opacity with losing the cold and dark aspect.

Hi Ed, I'm thinning with water at present and was wondering about whether an acrylic medium would be better. Do you have any suggestions for make/type of medium as there appears to be a confusing array available?

No worries about straying off topic by the way, all helpful info to me!
Cheers for the reply,
Des.

Hi Ed, I'm thinning with water at present and was wondering about whether an acrylic medium would be better. Do you have any suggestions for make/type of medium as there appears to be a confusing array available?

No worries about straying off topic by the way, all helpful info to me!
Cheers for the reply,
Des.

FWIW I use matte rather than gloss on the basis that if the painting works out, I can always varnish it later. Current favoured brand is Liquitex- liquitex acrylic matte medium.

It also makes a much more effective brush cleaner than water- in fact the gloopy puddle you are left with after cleaning a brush in matte medium is oftentimes too tempting to chuck out and makes a smooth and nifty wash in itself..

Thanks again Ed, I'll give that a try.

Interesting about about using it as a brush cleaner. You'd expect it would dry hard in the same way acrylic paint does.

Interesting about about using it as a brush cleaner. You'd expect it would dry hard in the same way acrylic paint does.

You are right about that - it does. So you do have to rinse it out, once it has worked its magic and coaxed the acrylic paint out from the base of the bristles. I wouldn't want my unguarded comments to be the ruin of your brush collection!

Des - give Berol's Marvin Medium a crack - if used neat you get shiny results, but by adding increasing amounts of water, it becomes increasingly matte.
When using glazes, definitely take the advice offered above, but when it comes to it - you have to be pretty brave - just to see all your hard work disappear under a liquid grey can be a tad disconcerting, but, if you've got the consistency right, it'll reappear.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back