• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Common chiffchaff or Caucasian mountain chiffchaff ?? Kuwait (1 Viewer)

bassel

Good evening to all

I went birding at Jahra east outfalls today and spotted this Phylloscopus that looked to me quiet different from a common chiffchaff and felt something wrong . The color is brown as seen and lacking any hints of yellow . Also the supercilium white and not creamy. Mountain chiffchaff it is ???

Let me have your opinions please .

Attachments

• Picture 070.jpg
    Picture 070.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Picture 073.jpg
    Picture 073.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Picture 074.jpg
    Picture 074.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 78
It seems a good candidate, I agree with Lou.
Espacially with long supr. Contesting with dark brownish crown, thin fully dark bare parts, beside there were several records of probable Lorenzi CC from Kuwait.

Omar

A good find bassel!...conforms to textbook Mountain Chiff Chaff (P.lorenzii), and extremely informative shots.

Cheers

Many thanks Lou , Omar and ken .

Indeed it is a very good record . In the time the bird fits excatly the description of phylloscopus lorenzi eapecially the description in collins bird guide , But actually one more thing confused me that was the call . I am not sure whether the call was its call or another bird's call since I didn't notice while taking the photos , but I heard a call typical of a chiffchaff in our forests in winter , a soft and fast "seww" repeated in app 2 sec intervals . As far as you know , could also a Lorenzi have this call . I can also post the voice file later .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back