• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flycatcher ID (1 Viewer)

bobsofpa

I am torn between this being a Brown-crested Flycatcher or an Ash-throated Flycatcher. I am leaning toward the Brown-crested because the breast seems to be too yellow for then Ash-throated. Would appreciate any help on this ID.

The photo was taken in Big Bend National Park (southwest corner of Texas) in early May.

Attachments

• CRW_5849 Flycatcher.jpg
    CRW_5849 Flycatcher.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 125
Did you hear it call? The Ash-throated has a very unmistakable "ka-brik" call. Also, might you have gotten a look at the undertail pattern? The Brown-crested has dark edges to its tail, running down the sides. The Ash-throated has the same, but the tip of the tail also has the dark edge to it.

Here's a page that illustrates the differences well:

http://www.tucsonaudubon.org/birding/duos10.htm

People say bill size and crest size are indicators, but I don't find that very useful. It's hard to qualify unless you have the two species side by side.

Thank you for the reply and the tip on the tails. Actually my National Geographic guide shows the differences in the tails. I was able to blow up the original of the photo I posted and could see enough of the tail to determine it was not the Ash-throated. As far as the calls go, if I did hear any it was too long ago and I really do not do any identification by calls. I am primarily a photographer that likes birds and wants to have them properly identified when I post them on my web site.

This forum has been a great help to me and I really do appreiate all the help from the members of this forum.

I will probably need more help as I just returned from a 1 and a half month photo trip and on which I took 6000 plus photos, mostly of birds. I expect to add about 100 new birds to my site such as the White Morph of the Reddish Egret, Elegant Trogon, Clay-colored Robin and Flame-colored Tanager. Yes, I did get some good ones.

crispycreme said:
Did you hear it call? The Ash-throated has a very unmistakable "ka-brik" call. Also, might you have gotten a look at the undertail pattern? The Brown-crested has dark edges to its tail, running down the sides. The Ash-throated has the same, but the tip of the tail also has the dark edge to it.

Here's a page that illustrates the differences well:

http://www.tucsonaudubon.org/birding/duos10.htm

People say bill size and crest size are indicators, but I don't find that very useful. It's hard to qualify unless you have the two species side by side.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back