• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Identity Crisis (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

I took up birding seriously again about 2 years ago, after a long period of abstinence. Back in my earlier birding phase, I always had ID problems with Gulls, especially in the juvenile phases. Since returning to this hobby I find things had gotten far worse, where the hell have all these new species come from? Yellow Leg & Caspian? They all look like Herring Gulls to me.

This sounds like a cunning plan by all the twitchers out there to up the tick list by a couple of notches. I would not be surprised to find in a few years time yet more new gulls this time the only way to split then is by DNA analysis or a very expensive scope with built in scanners (such as used in Star Trek)

Paul 3:)

That´s gulls!

Well, in Denmark we have had a lot of weird gulls in the last few years, among them several "american´s". I know that a new guide called (something like...if my memmory serves me right) "European Seabird Identification". You might want to keep Your eyes open for that one, even though I don´t know (yet) if it infact will be usefull or just another space occupied on the bookshelf. Anyway, the ever popular Collin´s Guide for Europe has proven quite usefull even in "hardies" such as juv. gull´s and calidris-waders. Still many gull´s will without doubt be left as "un-id´ed" even by the most hardcore and experianced birder! If you wan´t another "funny" group, come to South America and try id´ing all those small grey tyrant-flycatchers down here...:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back