• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What 3 binoculars do you USE the most for birding? (1 Viewer)

Count me among the fans of the 7x35 Custom. I have two copies of the earliest Fuji FPO version. One is in pristine condition. It sits in its box on the shelf. The other is decidedly beat-up, with paint worn off the corners and dented beauty rings. But to my eye, it is a bit sharper than the former, and so it gets some casual use. I could use a bit more eye relief (I'm considering removing the nylon cups altogether), and I'd prefer if the focuser worked clockwise to infinity, but I'm more than happy to use it for a walk through the woods.

Count me among the fans of the 7x35 Custom. I have two copies of the earliest Fuji FPO version. One is in pristine condition. It sits in its box on the shelf. The other is decidedly beat-up, with paint worn off the corners and dented beauty rings. But to my eye, it is a bit sharper than the former, and so it gets some casual use. I could use a bit more eye relief (I'm considering removing the nylon cups altogether), and I'd prefer if the focuser worked clockwise to infinity, but I'm more than happy to use it for a walk through the woods.
So the ugly duckling has better optics. Isn't it funny how sometimes there are optical differences in two identical binoculars.

I think the memory of the high-precision Japanes binoculars was
sort of washed out by a very strong extra-wide period and then
the economic crush of the mid-70s through 80s.

I can give a dramatic example of coating hardness in Customs.
One of my two pairs had fungus and I removed it with Bon Ami.
The coatings survived...incredible. Just a few 'central vein ghosts' from the fungus.
Fujinon even builds for easy maintenance as well.

Interesting on the Zephyr coatings.
There is a Zephyr reprise, the Bushnell "Featherlight" (not featherweight), with
harder coatings.

I like the the SMC/Asahi amber multicoat inside and the UVC first coat
in later Customs. The Swift Trident #748 has that complement as well. Perfect
for good color rendition and fighting haze.

The Japanese flat/sharp designs seem to spread out from the Zephyr.
Seem like it's an ancestor. So many featherweights under different brands
are so good. I suppose I took a long time to discover them first because of my
x-wide phase, and then because the big shoulders and plain FOV seemed odd.
I think the big-shouldered one-piece chassis is actually handy for keeping
weight down, oddly, and also as a light trap and for the fantastic grip ergonomics.

On EBay, it looks like nobody's letting go of their Zeiss 7x42s!
Thanks for your insight on those coatings. I am sure a lot of members appreciate the information.

Hello all,

I've finally completed my collection with three pairs that I'm very happy with.

8x32 Nikon EDG. Great neutral colour, sharp to the edge, best focus feel and response. Basically one of the best 8x32 roofs out there really and a joy to use. (had some dramas with the diopter after which Nikon provided me a new pair).

8x42 Leica Trinovid. It has CA when you look for it but I don't care because they are simply excellent (recently did a bit of a write up in the Leica thread).

7x50 Fujinon FMTR-SX. If you haven't looked through a pair of these do yourself a favour. You can pay four times the price of these and not get a better view, no short of amazing.

I use these three mainly for birding and nature watching or simply surveying a view. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for your insight on those coatings. I am sure a lot of members appreciate the information.

The Japanese didn't talk much about binocular coatings.
They did crow a lot over the related camera coatings, and photo buffs
go on and on about the subtle differences in the early multi-coats.
The photo guys are the 'Rosetta Stone' of Japanese coatings.
SMC/Takumars fetch a high price today. The color rendition is legendary.
Having some Takumar and SMC/Takumar 35mm lenses lying around has been
helpful in stitching it all together.

Today it is possible to have both high transmission and excellent filtering,
but the market pressure is too ignorant at the moment. A few makers
stick to their guns for at least the first surface.

I have to curtail my acquisitions now. One can only use so many super-field binocs.
It was addictive picking up the best for pittance. Shipping&handling will eat you
given enough quantity, though. The world supply will recover in a while ;-)

Last edited:
Hello all,

I've finally completed my collection with three pairs that I'm very happy with.

8x32 Nikon EDG. Great neutral colour, sharp to the edge, best focus feel and response. Basically one of the best 8x32 roofs out there really and a joy to use. (had some dramas with the diopter after which Nikon provided me a new pair).

8x42 Leica Trinovid. It has CA when you look for it but I don't care because they are simply excellent (recently did a bit of a write up in the Leica thread).

7x50 Fujinon FMTR-SX. If you haven't looked through a pair of these do yourself a favour. You can pay four times the price of these and not get a better view, no short of amazing.

I use these three mainly for birding and nature watching or simply surveying a view. Couldn't be happier.
Are your Leica Trinovids 8x42 the BA or BN model? I have the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA and it is one of my favorite binoculars. I had the 7x50 Fujinon's and they are superb optically but I found them a little big and heavy for birding.

...... I have the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA and it is one of my favorite binoculars. .........

Dennis ..... Are there any attributes of the Leica that you prefer over your Swaro SV EL 8X32? I would think these two models would compete against each other in your collection rather than complement each other or serve different needs. I thought in the past, you advocated going with the best in a particular class rather than duplicating like binoculars.

Dennis ..... Are there any attributes of the Leica that you prefer over your Swaro SV EL 8X32? I would think these two models would compete against each other in your collection rather than complement each other or serve different needs. I thought in the past, you advocated going with the best in a particular class rather than duplicating like binoculars.
First of all I think the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA has the best build quality of any binocular and I like it's compactness. For these reasons it makes a perfect all around travel binocular that I am not afraid to knock around or get wet and also because of the much lower cost I don't worry about it as much. Optically I think it delivers a more natural view than the Swarovski SV 8x32. The SV is brighter and it has sharper edges but it is almost like these attributes were synthetically created. I really think for birding the SV is the best binocular overall you can buy but for me the Leica Trinovid 8x32 is a close second. The Leica Trinovid BA is an older alpha bit it is a classic and performs very close still to the best binoculars you can buy having a huge FOV and actually quite sharp edges. I originally purchased the Trinovid BA and then I bought a Trinovid BN to compare the two. The BN I bought was in excellent condition but it had one left eye cup that could be turned which I didn't like because both eye cups on the BA were tight. Also, the infinity focus was extreme to the clockwise direction on the BN almost to the point of questioning if the binocular was in focus at infinity and optically after comparing them for hours I determined the BA was sharper especially at infinity. The small advantage the BN had in close focus which was 7.5 feet versus 10.5 feet on the BA was not that big of a deal for me. I have heard that from other people that the BA is a sharper binocular and now I believe it. I kept the BA. For the $650 to $750 you can get a Leica Trinovid 8x32 for they are quite a bargain for somebody looking for an all around well built binocular. For me it is my knock around binocular and every day binocular that I don't worry about as much. To be honest it also has a beautiful view also. It is a WOW binocular for sure.

First of all I think the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA has the best build quality of any binocular and I like it's compactness. <snip> Optically I think it delivers a more natural view than the Swarovski SV 8x32. The SV is brighter and it has sharper edges but it is almost like these attributes were synthetically created.

The Leica BA also suffers less from glare problems than the SV 8x32. The SV 8x32 is the worst of the Swarovisions in that respect, by quite a large margin. The 8.5x42, for instance, is a lot better.

Hermann

Are your Leica Trinovids 8x42 the BA or BN model? I have the Leica Trinovid 8x32 BA and it is one of my favorite binoculars. I had the 7x50 Fujinon's and they are superb optically but I found them a little big and heavy for birding.

Hi Dennis,

My Trinovids are the new model.
Yes, the Fujinon are big and heavy but they give an amazing view. Nice neutral colours, sharp to the edge, wide view with a very easy and comfortable view that has a strong 3D look to it.
I usually use them stationary but I don't mind the size and weight as they are well balanced and very comfortable to hold.
They aren't the best choice for walking through a forest under close canopy etc as close focus would require a change in setting. I have mine focused so everything from about 12m to infinity is in focus and sharp.
The Fujinons are definitely a niche in my collection but well worth that spot, one of those binoculars that challenges any other optics available and gives a true "wow" view.

Dennis ..... Got it. Sounds the Leica is your high end tough car binocular! You still get a quality view with reduced risk of loss if something happens.

The Swaros do give an intense first impression. Based on some experience with the last generation of the non SV EL, I had concerns that could get fatiguing over time in the bright environment for my area. Maybe that is why I went for the more relaxed and somewhat warmer color balance of the EDG. I can use it all day and I never feel it is to much . Isn't Leica known for even a more warmer view than Nikon, especially older non ED glass, non di-electric coated models? I have a last generation Bausch and Lomb 8X42 Elite with non ED glass and silver prism coatings. It is definitely warmer in color than many of the newer models now available.

The Leica BA also suffers less from glare problems than the SV 8x32. The SV 8x32 is the worst of the Swarovisions in that respect, by quite a large margin. The 8.5x42, for instance, is a lot better.

Hermann
You are correct on both counts. I just compared my Leica 8x32 BA's to my Swarovision 8x32 SV's on a Colorado sunset and you are correct the BA's handle glare better than the small SV's and the bigger SV's 8.5x42 handle glare a little better than their smaller brother probably because of their bigger exit pupil because I had a pair for awhile.

Hi Dennis,

My Trinovids are the new model.
Yes, the Fujinon are big and heavy but they give an amazing view. Nice neutral colours, sharp to the edge, wide view with a very easy and comfortable view that has a strong 3D look to it.
I usually use them stationary but I don't mind the size and weight as they are well balanced and very comfortable to hold.
They aren't the best choice for walking through a forest under close canopy etc as close focus would require a change in setting. I have mine focused so everything from about 12m to infinity is in focus and sharp.
The Fujinons are definitely a niche in my collection but well worth that spot, one of those binoculars that challenges any other optics available and gives a true "wow" view.
I love the Fujinon's 7x50 also. You are right about the 3D view. With that huge exit pupil and those fine optics you just stick them up to your eyes and bam you have one heck of a view. For the money they are one of the finest binoculars you can buy. They are a heck of a bargain and the astronomers love them. It amazes me how finely built they are for their price. In build quality they remind me of the Nikon EII. Those Japanese binoculars seem to have superb build quality.

Last edited:
Dennis ..... Got it. Sounds the Leica is your high end tough car binocular! You still get a quality view with reduced risk of loss if something happens.

The Swaros do give an intense first impression. Based on some experience with the last generation of the non SV EL, I had concerns that could get fatiguing over time in the bright environment for my area. Maybe that is why I went for the more relaxed and somewhat warmer color balance of the EDG. I can use it all day and I never feel it is to much . Isn't Leica known for even a more warmer view than Nikon, especially older non ED glass, non di-electric coated models? I have a last generation Bausch and Lomb 8X42 Elite with non ED glass and silver prism coatings. It is definitely warmer in color than many of the newer models now available.
I understand about your EDG's. They are a more relaxed and warmer color balance than the SV's. Almost all Nikon's have that warm almost reddish color balance. The Leica Trinovid does have a warmer relaxed color balance which is almost a welcome change to the SV's electric brightness. Sometimes like you say you want a binocular that is a little more subdued especially in the Arizona sunshine. I would describe the Trinovid as "natural and comforting" if I had to put it's type of view into words. The Trinovid's really are fine binoculars. If you ever see a cherry pair on Ebay buy them.

Last edited:
Early Fall has cleared the air, bringing redemption
for the modern-coated, making distance more fun for precision classics,
calling for an easy 'take-along':

Currently revised 3 favorites:

* Meopta Meopro 6.5x32 (super when the air is clear and drying leaves have less edge-glare)...
* Scope 10x35/7-degree (JB4: Toei Kogaku) (light, powerful, flat, crisp, and rich)
* Bushnell 6x25 Customs (JB45: Tamron) (So comfortable, one hand and glasses, boom!)

Sun's so clear.....10x50s are now banished to the night...too bright.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back