• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What 3 binoculars do you USE the most for birding? (1 Viewer)

I usually grab the 8x42 SF, because it's got the best view. I'll grab the 8x32 SV if weight is an issue. If I'm going on rougher trips, where I don't want to risk the alphas, I'd go with the 8x42 M7. ;)

I usually grab the 8x42 SF, because it's got the best view. I'll grab the 8x32 SV if weight is an issue. If I'm going on rougher trips, where I don't want to risk the alphas, I'd go with the 8x42 M7. ;)
Those are some nice choices you have. I can understand your caution with the alphas. Is it the bigger FOV you like on the SF?

Easy for me as I only HAVE three (well...FOUR now with with the Opticron Oregons I just bought but no serious use yet)! :t:

WATCHING FEEDERS

Vortex 6x32 Viper HD (70%?) AWESOME bin in general and perfect "feeder watching" binocular

Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 (30%) (Sometimes just need the "Leica fix" o:D , sometimes just need to justify the investment, and sometimes they are just closest when I need to grab. Also handy for alternating between feeders and woods across the road from my house.)

FIELD USE/TRIPS

Leica Ultravid HD 8x42 (75%)

Kowa Genesis 10.5x44
(20%) For when I need a bit of extra reach and magnification.

Vortex 6x32 Viper HD (5%) Sometimes if size/weight (especially with other gear such as camera or when backpacking/hiking) is a consideration.

I have to brag on all my bins. I have researched for literally hundreds of hours (if I count all my time pouring over Birdforum, and countless hours studying specs, articles, and reviews when I couldn't afford to actually buy them yet!) and have bought and sold to end up with my current "battery" of bins. I am really pleased. While my Ultravids are my favorite, the Viper HDs are awesome glass and easy to hold for long periods of time and never show any shake effects. I once thought about selling them and even listed them for sale, but I withdrew them and have never regretted keeping them.

The Kowa Genesis, as I opined on another thread once (and maybe twice) are "Japanese Alphas". These bins in my humble opinion make no apologies or excuses to any brand, ESPECIALLY given the price point (1/2 the price of German and Austrian "alphas"). The ONLY things noteworthy to me is that they are a tad on the heavy side and the focus is quicker than I like, but these are forgotten after a few minutes of use. I've handled all the current "alphas" and many of the models below those, but the Kowa Genesis just exudes "quality". It seems to be the one you think you'd find in a wooden box with a riveted brass plate saying, "Instrument, Optical, Binocular, Precision". ;)

Last edited:
Three seems like such a small number ;-)

At this moment, birding, early Spring, 3 most often grabbed:

---The Yard: Meopta Meopro 6.5x32
---The woods, walking: Tower Featherweight, 7x35 (swapped in for Customs, much lighter, flatter field)
---Lakes, fields, beach: Nikon Aculon, 10x42

The parts will shift when things warm up and the leaves fill in.
Woods will probably go to the Tasco 320 (460ft),
Lakes/fields to the Orca 10x50 (has UV/Haze layer up front)..
Backyard still the Meo, but 6x30 Vega Minervas for bad fog or haze.

For birding+butterflying, which I do a lot, it is the Zeiss 8x32 FL.

For dedicated birding, it is the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL most often (or Leica 8x42 Ultravid in dead of winter), or 8x32 EL (esp. in rainy weather since mine has hydrophobic coatings), or Leica 8x20 Ultravid BL (also good for butterflies).

--AP

Normal daytime use is a Nikon SE 8x32, or a Nikon EDG 10x42 if viewing at longer distances. For lower light levels, a Zeiss Victory FL 7x42.

Occasionally I will substitute a Swarovski 8x30 Habicht W GA for the SE.

If hiking for longer periods of time, I will use either an 8x Swaro CL Pocket, or a 10x Leica Ultravid.

I often head out with two pair...Nikon 10x35 EII and Leica Ultravid HD+ 7x42. I like the combination of having 7x and 10x when I need it and at least one pair being weatherproof.

Three seems like such a small number ;-)

At this moment, birding, early Spring, 3 most often grabbed:

---The Yard: Meopta Meopro 6.5x32
---The woods, walking: Tower Featherweight, 7x35 (swapped in for Customs, much lighter, flatter field)
---Lakes, fields, beach: Nikon Aculon, 10x42

The parts will shift when things warm up and the leaves fill in.
Woods will probably go to the Tasco 320 (460ft),
Lakes/fields to the Orca 10x50 (has UV/Haze layer up front)..
Backyard still the Meo, but 6x30 Vega Minervas for bad fog or haze.
This is very useful information. It gives everybody a lot of different binoculars to try. Some of these are not as well known but probably very good binoculars.

It took a while to discover the advanced models hidden among the ordinary ones,
but once you've got the class and features down, like you say, availability opens up.
The Swift Triton is one Kowa Prominar competitor with even better coating and focuser
but still really reasonable old. The various brands of 'featherweights' are mostly awesome,
not for the weight (which is great) but for the EPs.
Many that were once a lot pricier than the base models got lost to history.
But....year by year, grandpa's closets get cleared out.
Grandpa's shed is another story......

Main 'all purpose' bin is Vanguard Endeavor EDII 8x42 - particularly if combining bird/butterfly/dragonfly combinations due to fast (and very close) focus of less than 2m, and edge-to-edge sharpness at all distances.
Nikon M7 8x30 when i know the terrain won't need the Vanguards and for local survey work + 'opportunist' trips (the 'sneaky bin'). Great FOV and brightness for the weight and size.
Nikon Travelite 8x25 in the car - also handy for lending to less-equipped passengers!
(Got a Pentax Papillio as well, but this is entirely for garden wildlife use, as i've found it a tricky beast for birding)

Nikon 8x32 HG my default birding binoculars.
Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 T*P* occasionally at "honeypot" bird reserves as an antidote to "Swaromania".
Swarovski 8x25 for birding on non birding holidays as they fit nicely into my camera bag which I use as hand luggage.

1st Zeiss 8x32 FL, 2nd 7x42 FL, 3rd: probably a 10x: say Nikon EII 10x35, but its down to my need/mood on the day for the third choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back