• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pricing for selling on auction site (1 Viewer)

amelia1730

Selling 2 pairs of bins on fleabay and not sure how to price them

I'm listing as an auction (with starting price) but also a "Buy it now"
Obviously don't want too low a starting price in case I only get one bid!!

Bushnell Excursion 8 x 28 in ex cond
Viking GR 8 x 45 in ex cond

Didn't feel they were good enough to list on here along with the likes of Zeiss, Swaros and Leicas!

Because they are old models I'm having difficulty. I have just listed the Bushnells but think I've made a mistake - yikes! :eek!:

The Bushnell's may have been around £80 new??
Vikings were probably nearer £170-£200 maybe

Any help/advice, original prices etc would be much appreciated

Thanks

Hi Amelia,

you know that you can search for sold items on fleabay? This shows one auction for the Bushnell ending at 53 UKP so your listing is quite a deal...
For the Viking I don't see any completed sales on the bay - in some hunting forum sb asked for 120 UKP but no answers - but half the new price seems reasonable for a used article in good state... so maybe start a bit lower and buy now a bit above that.

Joachim

Hi again Joachim

I didn't know you could search for sold items, so thanks for that. You learn something new every day! :)

Thank you
Amelia

Hi Amelia,

I saw a Viking GR 8x45 went for £59.99 in June, just one bid, but your one sounds better condition. It might be worth listing just as buy it now around £90 with best offer option? They are quite popular. Don't forget the bay will take will take a slice and if paid by PP they take a bit too. Always difficult pricing or deciding auction or buy now, I put a nice Sard 7x50 starting £57 and only got one bid, the next week a much worse one went for £90. Good luck.

Last edited:
When I buy on EBay, it's 'buy it now' so I don't ride the rollercoaster.
Some binoculars can be on for a long time at higher prices. One thing you
can do is post 'buy it now' and lower the price a bit each few weeks.
Some will wait for it to go down, but as the 'looked at' numbers go up
they will worry about someone else snatching them.
The technique is called "Dutch Auction", like the flowers sales they still hold.

It really is hit-or-miss for pricing.
A straight auction might get not hits if high, or picked up for
too little if there is no reserve. I have noticed price drops
before the holidays. Most sellers are 'flippers', and they might
suddenly all need some extra money.

I have had good luck using Buy It Now in conjunction with a Best Offer option. You'll get a few really low offers, but you can also get people offering upwards of 90% of the original asking price. Just keep in mind that no one will pay the real Buy It Now price because they believe they can get a bargain by offering less, so set the Buy It Now price a little above what you would normally set it. I prefer this setting to an auction where the starting bid is low, because I'm in control here and can accept or reject offers as desired.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back