• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Observations of an Autumnal night and day. (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Observations of an Autumnal night and day.

Hi all,

Was anyone lucky enough to see the partial Lunar eclipse last night?
We couldn't see it from here but my son was on his way into town and got an amazing view from the top of a hill of the full moon rising with a "piece" taken out of the top of it and so large and low in the sky that it appeared to be filling the road in front of him!!

So no eclipse last night and with temperatures low enough here for even a touch of frost in places,the night then developed into beautiful Autumnal day in the Northwest.

The garden is still brimming with Butterflies,including "Humphrey" who we've nick named our now regular visitor the Hummingbird Hawkmoth! "He" hovers feeding from the Verbena Bonariensis which I deliberately let self seed there from last year and which has now become quite prolific in that particular border and alongside the Evening Primrose is a magnet for insects of all kinds!

Natures harvest is a good one this year and the Pyracantha's berries are glowing orange and red alongside the vivid red of the Honeysuckle berries! Whilst the bright red of the Rowan berries are being systematically devoured by marauding flocks of Starlings who seem to converge in large feeding parties almost turning the tree black with their noisy and argumentative daily visits!

The Robin has returned to the garden and I've been able to listen to his little melancholy autumn song which in itself is an oddly comforting feeling. I don't know whether it's the same one that raised a family in my tatty open fronted box earlier in the year but he's very welcome anyway!

Flocks of geese are now quite frequently passing noisily over in the darkness of the early hours of the morning....always a sign of a change of season and of exciting visitors to go and see in the forthcoming weeks and months.

So with one batch of chutney made and hoping that not all of my tomato's ripen so I can make another......here's to the season of mellow fruitfulness,cheers! B :)

Have a good weekend everyone,
Best wishes,

Hello Ruth,

Yes, I was lucky enough to see the partial eclipse from home, but only caught it towards the final stages and didn`t see the enormity of it as it rose.

Nature`s harvest is pretty good here too. I`ve already had pounds of blackberries, most of which are juiced and in the freezer to do with apples later in the year. No need to make bramble jelly this year as I still have supplies from a bumper crop last autumn! Plums from a friend`s tree have been made into spiced chutney and the tomatoes are ripening at such a pace they`re hard to keep up with. Probably shan`t make green tom chutney this year for same reason as bramble jelly.

`My` robin`s back too, trilling away in the hedges and next door`s rowan, but the goldies seem to have deserted me at the moment, I hope that they will be back before too long.

All in all, I think that I quite like autumn :bounce:

What lovely reports!

I saw the full moon last night, and it was huge. I also saw it at about 4.30 this morning and the garden was bathed in light so bright it was like daytime. I could hear a hedgehog snuffling too, but couldn't see it (didn't have my contact lenses in!). The days are golden at the moment and the hips and berries are gleaming. I love the cobwebs which sparkle across the lawns and shrubs too. My absolute favourite time of year.

Hi all :hi:
I didnt see the partial eclipse last night I forgot it was going to happen.
Its a beautiful day here today its very warm when you go out in the sun and very cool when your in the shade. The woodpigeons that were nest building have left all of a sudden I dont know why but they left.
I have also got a Hummingbird Hawkmoth thats visiting my garden everyday and there are three butterflies that are now visiting my garden everyday from the last 3 days. They spend nearly whole of their day in my garden but im not complaining.
I am also exited because by the end of the month the first Redwings will be arriving so I am going to be outside at night for an hour to listen if I can hear the first Redwings.
Happy birding

Hi Ruth & ALL,

Ah Ruth, what a tonic reading your report & everyone else's lovely contributions.
I have just finished a gruesome week in work and to try and "switch off" from it all, I walked through my local nature reserve and was approached by a man.
It was scary & awful, sorry to bring the mood down but I wanted to let you all know how threads like this make such a difference.

On a lighter note, I must start picking the apples & pears this week end,
The pear tree is hanging over the pond! eek dont want to bash the poor newts & frogs on the head.

Happy pickling (is that how you spell pickling?)

Gosh are you alright Pie? Sounds like a terrible experience.

I didn't see the eclipse last night but did see the incredibly bright full moon and looked at it through the binoculars. Wasn't it frosty last night! But has turned into really hot day. Looking forward to the trees turning shades of red and orange, so pretty.

same here Ruth, cold night with a little frost just 2 degrees - It was a very full moon at 10 O clock last.

A lovely day here and it actually (at midday) felt very hot.

Scott

Aw thanks Kezza,
I'm fine, it's just a shame that I cant go to such a wonderful place on my own without risks.

I dont normally go to the hide alone because it 's so isolated but I overheard the Kingfisher was showing well. I only managed a glimpse when he flew over but i dont think that counts as a tick! LOL

Thanks Kezzer

I know what you mean, it is my worst fear when I go out on walks etc as I'm usually on my own or just with my daughter, I do feel vulnerable sometimes. Such a shame that we have to be wary, I would go out a lot more if I didn't worry about strange people.

Sorry Ruth didn't mean to take over your wonderful thread.

Hi Ruth and All

I saw the partial eclipse too, a huge moon that looked as though it had a hat on!

I went to visit a relative in Wetherby yesterday and called at the village where I used to live. Although its changed -lots more houses- I don't half miss living there. Driving along the country lanes I noticed how laden the hawthornes are, also lots of rosehips and rowan berries. In my local woods the beech and oak, after having a very poor yield last year, are covered in beech nuts and acorns. We used to say a bad winter follows a good harvest, whatever happens the birds' pantry is certainly full at present.

After being parched all summer my lawns have taken on a new lease of life, the grass is growing so quickly I can't keep up with it. My outdoor tomatoes are ripening all the time and, as last year's chutney has all been eaten or given away, I shall have to make some more. All thats missing are the birds, apart from the resident sparrows and occasional bluetits and goldfinches the garden is very quiet. At this time last year "my" robin and wren were regular visitors but I haven't seen them since late winter/early spring. No blackbirds either, I haven't seen them since they were feeding their youngsters. The Pyracantha and Cotoneaster are covered in berries so a feast awaits them when they decide to return.

I'm sorry you've had that bad experience Pie. I walk around the woods every day with my dog and never think of the possible dangers, maybe I should be more aware. Hope you can put it to the back of your mind and continue to enjoy your walks through the nature reserve.

Hi All Yes we saw the partial eclipse clearly here in Liverpool, it was a Harvest Moon I believe, so all the berries are appropriate to this moon. It was in the West this morning a large pink globe hanging in the clear morning air.
We have started our Damson and Sloes for our Damson and Sloe Gin for Christmas. My daughter in law in St leonards gave us some wonderful apricot Jam she made from Apricots picked locally, Sue has a talent for Jam making, and I may add is having her first showing of her Ceramic Art Works this month. Quite a month for harvesting and displaying.

Good Harvesting PeterK

Hi Pie and everyone,
Gosh I hope you are ok Pie?
These sort of men should be castrated........it's dreadful that we women can't go out on our own. :-C
I'm the same here.....a nature reserve within walking distance and the days to myself but I wouldn't dream of going there on my own...so very sad!!

I'm glad to hear that a few of you did manage to view the eclipse and that all the harvesting is going well! :t:

Peter,what exactly IS a "harvest moon"???

Best wishes to all,

Hi Ruth As I understand it is the first full moon in September, it used to extend the day for getting in the harvest, before the days of tractors etc with headlights. If you feel adventerous the Welsh celebrate the harvest moon on the Summit of Snowdon, they even run special trains up, we used to do it the hard way and climb, there is much singing and drinking, a night to remember.

Yours Peter

PeterK said:
Hi Ruth As I understand it is the first full moon in September, it used to extend the day for getting in the harvest, before the days of tractors etc with headlights.
Yours Peter

To quote Brewer`s Dictionary of Phrase and Fable...it is the full moon nearest to the autumnal equinox, which rises for several days at about the same time (nearly sunset) giving a longer proportion of moonlit evenings than usual.....
This year the equinox is on September 23rd and the nearest full moon is on October 7th, so this year it will be in October not September.

Thanks for the info Peter and Wendy......I've learnt something new today!!
I'll not be boozing on top of Snowdon to celebrate it though Peter!! :-O
Best wishes,

Hi Wendy well one up to DOT, she said it was connected to the Equinox, I was convinced it was earlier, wrong again, thank the Lord you and her cant get me in a cross fire.

Off to find the Whisky bottle PeterK

Hi all,

I'm afraid I missed the partial eclipse as I didn't know about it but I saw the beautiful moon. It lights up my room so I don't need a light.

After reading these posts I've just been to check one of our oak trees (the one I can see from my window) and sure enough it's chock full of acorns. It's going to be a bumper year all right. They seem to occur every other year at the moment. Good news for the jays and the squirrels.

Peter, if you're going for the whisky, don't bother going for the walk up Snowdon, you might fall off or something. LOL

Sorry to hear your news Pie, I hope you've recovered OK. It's a shame you don't feel you can walk there alone anymore. Hopefully you'll find new places to enjoy safely.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back