• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron C90 Mak - any advice? (1 Viewer)

mba007

Hi folks,

I've been deliberating whether to get hold of a Celestron C90 Mak for birding purposes, and was wondering whether anyone has first-hand experience of the scope.

I confess that I'm an amateur (and pro) astronomer with a Televue Pronto, but it is too damn heavy to cart around over hill and dale.

One thing that is driving me nuts is that you can buy it in the states for ~$180, and in the UK for £199, but apparently vendors are not allowed to ship to the UK. I'm assuming that Celestron are controlling the market and effectively costing me £100 <-- that's what is driving me nuts!

Thanks in advance :t:,

Martin

I have a Celestron C-90 scope. Mine is at least 7-8 years old, so maybe in the interim there have been changes made, but I find it too bulky, much too clumsy to use, and too heavy for lugging around in the field. It is also hard to focus since you turn the whole barel to focus it, which is too wide for my hand to grasp easily.

However, the view through it is excellent.. clear and detailed with true colors, and bright. Mine is on a tripod and I tend to use it at home, only, and then not very often. I have other scoes I like using much better...

KOWA 824 (82mm) and KOWA 884 (88mm) both straight-body scopes, each with a KOWA 20x-60x Zoom Eyepiece. 824 is polycarbonate body .. and 884 is metal , magnesium alloy body, so 824 is lighter. 884 also has both Coarse AND Fine Focus knobs which is a huge plus (to me). Both are Fluorite.

The best view I have ever seen through ANY spotting scope is when using my KOWA 884, KOWA's newest scope.. NO doubts about that, the view is drop-dead gorgeous, with little light falloff at highest zoom. Detail and clarity and color is superb, with feather details seeming almost 3-D even at 60x full Zoom.

I also have a Swarovski ATS-80 HD spotting scope, with angled body and 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece. I like its larger diameter Eyepiece and the view is maybe slightly better than KOWA 824 the smaller, older KOWA scope. The overall size of the Swarovski is also smaller and more compact.

I also have Swarovski's effort at producing a handheld, collapsible scope, fully armored. IMO this is much too hard to use and focus in the field and is too heavy to handhold effectively. Mine is seldom used.

My first scope was a 15-45x Spacemaster with zoom lens. In its time, it was a fairly good scope, but is certainly dated now.

One of my all time favorites scopes is my Nikon 50mm Fieldscope with Zoom Eyepiece, Nikon's newest effort. This is small enough to be handheld and carried easily in the field in a large pocket or small pack. The view through it is surprisingly bright and clear with good detail & color. the Stokes' gave this scope a good review on their birding website. I use this scope a LOT and enjoy it very much. Also good for quick, handheld peeks out a car window, to use while hiking or on horseback. When out in the field using another of my larger scopes on a tripod, I keep this small Nikon Fieldscope attached to a magnetic VersaMount clamped onto a tripod leg, so I can easily grab the Nikon when needed for a quick peek.

Okay, now I'd like to ask you a question...

I am researching the purchase of a TeleVue 85 Evergreen crossover scope. Cornell Labs 2008 Spotting Scope Review gave rave reviews to this scope and I am considering getting one. Have you had any experience using one of these scopes?

I am slo wondering about TeleVue's Bino Vue attachment for a binocular eyepiece accessory to their TeleVue 85 scope.

Birdwatcher

Thanks for the info. The latest C90 incarnation has a normal mak-cas rear focuser, is sealed and nitrogen filled, and enclosed in rubber. I had a chance to examine one at Astrofest last week and it looks the business.

However since then I've bought a second hand Orion StarMax 90mm mak-cas for £85 which is 1kg less than my Televue and has good reviews. It isn't waterproof as such but then it comes in a waterproof case. I'll post a review up once it has arrived.

Okay, now I'd like to ask you a question...

I am researching the purchase of a TeleVue 85 Evergreen crossover scope. Cornell Labs 2008 Spotting Scope Review gave rave reviews to this scope and I am considering getting one. Have you had any experience using one of these scopes?

I am slo wondering about TeleVue's Bino Vue attachment for a binocular eyepiece accessory to their TeleVue 85 scope.

Birdwatcher

The TV85 is guaranteed to be a nice scope, as all Televue scopes are. I've not used one but am basing my reply on using the Pronto (2.8kg). The TV85 is a heavy beast at ~3.6kg and will need a strong tripod to cope. If you use it horizontally you'll probably be OK. If you use it to look high upwards (e.g. at stars) then a normal tripod head will be unbalanced and it'll be a bugger to move around. This is why they sell cradles such as this... http://telescopesales.co.uk/mnttv.htm

Televue's are beautifully made, solidly made, optically excellent scopes. I've got a Televue click-stop-zoom 8-24mm for my Pronto which is perfect.

The binoviewers will be heavy. I have Williams Optics binoviewers and they're excellent with the Pronto.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back