• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swallows martins and swifts. (1 Viewer)

Steve

Staff member
United Kingdom
Have these birds in your part of the world gathered to leave yet?
I hate it when they leave, signals darker evenings:-C and the onset of autumn. How many will perish on the way south?
how many will make it back next year?

steve (depressed)

Steve

Still plenty of Swallows feeding over fields on the Wirral but House Martins are getting fewer and fewer.
Certainly puts a damper on things as the Summer slips away.

paj

we've still got quite a few swallows up here in aberdeen but like pajarero not too many house and sand martains left. i have not seen any swifts for a bit.
the dark evenings seen to be coming quicker this year. still think of all the good birds that will soon be flying back to the uk for the winter :)

Made a visit to Lackford Gravel Pits today 08/09 (See Suffolk Sightinhgs)

Had about 20 of each House and Sand Martins and Swallows. Stiil no Swift!

burhinus

Can't remember when I last saw a Swift or Swallow, but there are plenty of House Martins still around. I did notice the House Martins are a little more lively at the moment, so perhaps they're getting ready to be on their way.

Swallows

Hi Steve,
Just to cheer you up: Plenty of swallows and swifts down here in South Devon.
I too always wonder how they will fare on their long journeys, one can but hope for the best.
I dread the winter also!
Paula

About 100 Swallows were gathering over my garden early this morning.
It looks like they may be planning to desert us again.

paj

still quite a few swallows and house martins up here, over the weekend, around aberdeen. also one swift looking a bit lonely.

Still plenty of House Martins here. Saw a few of them this morning swirling about, then making a bee-line for the side of a house, where they were clinging just under the roof. It was like they had only just arrived here.

I was out this morning and was surpirised at the number of Swallows and House martins that I came across. There are still plenty in the North East. Also flocks of 50+ Goldfinches with spinkling on soem lovely looking Yellow Hammers and Linnets mixed in when resting.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back