• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 8x32 LX L versus 8x32 SE versus 8x30 EII (1 Viewer)

Which of these three do you like best and why? Here is good discussion of them from another astronomy forum:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthre...umber/218605/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all

Dennis

I do not know the LX, but I prefer the EII to the Se, even though it lacks the shockproofing of the Se. The EII has a wide field and the preponderance of the center meets all my resolution and contrast requirements. The Se has too many problems with blackouts, which seem to plague strong myopes, like myself, so I found it rather unfriendly. The Se works well for a lot of users but with care the EII provides a fine image and is a good value.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

I don't think it is of much use to give these three binoculars an overall ranking. They each have their strengths and weaknesses depending on the conditions of use and the desires of the user.

Optically (contrast, size of sweet spot) the SE is tops, followed very closely by the EII. If one needs long eye relief, the SE and LX are best. For wide FOV, the EII is best. The LX is fully waterproof, the SE quite well sealed against most showers, and the EII less so. The SE and LX are more rugged than the EII. The "hang" of all three is miserable. The focus of all three stiffens in the cold, though the LX perhaps fares best.

If I were considering buying one of these as part of a collection, I'd be most attracted to the SE and EII because they are among the optically best 8x30/32 binos ever made. If I were buying an 8x32 exclusively for birding, for which I demand superb optics, but also superb handling and high durability, I'd pass over the LX (too heavy, too much CA, poor hang, and Nikon has durability issues with eyecups and armor in this line), keep saving up, and get the Zeiss 8x32 FL, Leica 8X32 Ultravid HD, or, if being compact was not a primary consideration in my decision to get an 8x32, the Swarovski 8x32 EL.

--AP

If I didn't wear glasses now, I'd still have my EIIs. They are great, great bins. Huge, picture window view, light weight, great center field sharpness and very low CA. Mine took all kinds of use without going out of alignment or needing any maintenance at all. It's also very easy to focus them with both index fingers at the same time, which makes for faster focussing in my hands anyway (this also goes for the SEs)

FWIW, I trialed a pair of Leica HD 8x32s and used a pair of 8x32 Zeiss FL's as my main bin for 6 months. They've both gone down the road as neither gave me the sharpness and ease of view I have from my trusty 8x32 SEs. I really wanted to prefer the little Zeisses, and they are terrific bins, but...

I have all three. Eye relief is not a problem. I don't wear glasses. The comments above pretty well sum up the good points and the few problem areas of these binoculars.

The SE is best. There is no point in reiterating the superlatives that apply to it again. We have read them enough.

The EII is the easiest to use. Getting them on target is instinctive. They are perfect for strolls in the woods. I have had to re glue the rubber leatherette cover on mine as it, through use, bubbled and came loose. It is easily fixed using Loctite brand super glue which comes with a small applicator brush. Loctite also makes a variety of glues for specific purposes, one of which can be used in rubber to metal applications.

I usually take the LX L with me on trips. It has a very fast focusing speed but it is easy to get used to. It is very well constructed; rugged, sharp, bright and has an expansive FOV with a very large sweet spot. You don't have to worry about small knocks and such and it works well with sunglasses.

I don't really know why I have all three. I got the EII first, about 7 years ago and used it hard. Then I got the LX L a couple of years later at a very good price. And then, recently, I was fortunate enough to get the last SE that Eagle Optics had. If I had bought one of those first, I might not have bought the others. That is how impressed I am by it's view. But I'm still keeping the EII and LX L! You bet!:t:
Bob

Last edited:
In the Nikon Website, the EII is listed as current model and check with the Nikon here, is available for sale. So is the EII being discontinued or not? Or all the EII discussions here refer to another model different from the current one? Still not decided to get either the zeiss trinovid, ultravid 8x30 or and EII.

The EII is not stocked in the US anymore, though it may be in Japan. They are hard to come by new or used anymore, as the people who own them don't seem big on selling. The SE is still available new from Amazon and Eastern Mountain Sports, among others.

I'd love to see Nikon introduce an SEII with ED objectives and racheting eyecups. Give the competition something new to chase for the next 20 years.

I ordered a new pair of Nikon 8x32 SE's. $550.00 shipped from Adorama Camera. I just want to try them. I had the Nikon 10x42 SE's and I got too many blackouts. I just have to try the 8x32 SE's and compare them to my Nikon 8x32 LX's and see if they really are that much better optically. If not I can return them for just the shipping cost. I will write a review when I get them.

Dennis

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back