• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BARSKA? Good, rugged, close focus and lightweight bins? (1 Viewer)

IK.

Hi,
I'm ready to leave the US in a week and I want to buy a new pair of binoculars before heading again for Spain, where the average price is a lot higher.
I've been searching for reviews in internet and I bumped upon a previously unknown brand for me: Barska.
I'm seriously considering their Barska Naturescape 8x42 (Bak4, FullyMC, PC, close focus of 6ft, wide FOV, 21 oz... at around 130$).

I have read some harsh comments against this brand in two posts of this forum... is this brand so awful? Do you people have experience with this brand, specially with their full-size Naturescape series?
Another option was the Olympus Magellan EXPWI at 190$, jut because the brand is more reknowned. Whay about the ruggedness of this ones?

More so, if you could recommend any other binocular with the following characteristics I would greatly appreciate:
mainly use for birding, but also reptiles, and backpacking through rough terrain, so:

- good close focus (lower than 9ft)
- low weight (around 23 oz or less)
- good glass (bak4, fullyMC...) of course, but I don't need a top end
- rugged, shock-proof
- FOV not critically important (but nothing lower of 300ft!)
- 8x power
- around 100-200$

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you very much Ceasar. It looks great! However, I was looking for something less heavy and preferably under 200$. Anyway, it is a very interesting option to consider.

I've been expanding my search and in the EagleOptics webpage I 've found 3 other potential candidates that also have good reviews in this forum:

Atlas Radian 8x42
Leupold Acadia 8x42
Eagle Optics Denali 8x42

All of them have the same type of glasses and coatings, but I guess there will be some variation in quality. Do you know them? If there were no appreciable differences in optic quality, I would go for the Atlas because its closer focus and current less expensive price.

For $205 you can get 23.2oz of:

2010 ZRS HD

Standard Features

* New Mg-Alloy chassis with light weight design -new
* VividBriteTM Dielectric Prism Coating -new
* Phase-correction with BAK-4 roof prisms
* Heavy-duty, 100% waterproof/fogproof construction: Argon charged
* Metal alloy enhanced Twist-up eyecups
* Diopter adjustment to fine tuning focus
* Large smooth center focus knob
* Ergonomic shape for stress free use
* Rubber armor absorbs shock
* Tethered flipdown objective lens protection covers
* Soft carrying case
* Fully multi-coated optics allows 99.5% light transmission at each glass/air interface

I have compared them to the Zen ED2 and it was very hard to tell the difference in image. In fact, the only difference I could see is depth of field.

Last edited:
IK,

I've recently been reviewing various bino options for a trip to Alaska.

Tried the AO Radian - returned it to EO. Something just was not right. I was comparing it to ZRS HD and both Yosemite versions from Leupold.

The Yosemite's are whipping all the others IMO - but I don't think they would be rugged.

I've read a lot of favorable reviews of the ZRS HD, but right now I'm having a hard time liking them. Something is not right at the eye cups and ocular that lets a lot of light in from the side - it's very distracting. Also, I don't think they are as clear as the 8x30 Yosemite and definitely not as clear as the 6x30.

I'm interested in trying the Acadia - if you try it be sure to post your impressions here - cannot find much on users of that model.

Barska doe come in for a lot of stick I think partially because they really are just a "re-badger" AKAIK i.e. they take OEM bins and put their brand on them for a given price point. That is a two edged sword of course in that they can come across a winner in the OEM world. But the only way to know is to try one (in the field if possible) and see what you think.

The $200 and under market is a very hot one today with some very good entrants. The ZRS and the Diamondback above being two good bins that are "good enough" for most people, I think. There are others too. A search of the forum will reveal a few.

Another option is a good older used bin for $200 or less though you might not make your weight limit. You might find a used Denali out there (they've been around for a while now).

There are very few 8x42 that meet your 23oz weight requirement. The Nikon Monarch is even lighter (perhaps a demo from CameraLandNY.com if they have them or secondhand). They come with a 25 year warranty in the USA.

Thanks a lot for the input guys!
ZRS HD also seems a very good contender. Anyone else noticed that problem with the ZRS eyecups? Could it be a faulty bin Yankeefliper?

Regarding the Yosemites, I read a lot of great reviews. But I'm not sure if I would get used to such a small bin (besides the problem of ruggedness). I'm used to bulky bins and now I want to reduce weight in my hiking trips, but I fear I won't be comfortable enough handling such a tiny machine.
What are your personal impressions on this?
Then there is the close focus issue (16 fts is too much for me). I know the Celestron 8x30 are similar to Yosemites but with just 8ft of close focus. But still I'm worried with the tiny dimensions.

Take in mind that these are going to be my only bins, not just a replacement ones for backpacking.
PD. I will post my impressions if I try the Acadia, sure

Perhaps for hiking you might widen your search to second hand 32mm bins?

I have the Yosemites and have big hands and don't find them difficult or too small to handle. They seem rugged to me. More so than older small porros. I think the prisms are glued in place. They were originally designed with kids in mind. That said I've not tried bouncing them on the ground ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back