• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you? (1 Viewer)

Reader

How do you cut and past one image onto another photo?

Looking at Andy Brights Heron and Moon photo made me wonder just how you did this then Peter Hayes sent in a photo with the Glossy Ibis superimoposed onto a table. How do you do that?

How due you cut around the outline of a bird and paste only that part of a photo onto another photo?

The programmes I have on my PC are Adobe Photoshop 6.0
Paint Shop Pro 7
And Serif Photoplus 8.

How do you use these programmes to do it and which is the best one to use?

Hi John, that's a really good question that I'm sure a lot of members have also wondered about.

I'll have a play about with PaintShop Pro and try and come up with some kind of visual tutorial for you.

Ah there you go then, here's what the original two images and the selection once copied and then pasted looked like.

Fig1 original for selection
Fig2 Selection
Fig3 Target Photo
Fig4 Final pic

It was a quick job but it shows the procedure. I used the freehand selection tool (little lasso type button) from the menu. Once pasted I just blurred it a little to smooth it a bit. Obviously these two pic were not really compatible but I could have gone on to add shadow to the water, work with some lighting effect etc to make it more feasable. But now you have the basics, it's a case of playing around with various settings.

Trial and error is the best way I think.

OOOOOPPPPPPPS let my just edit this and add the picture.. sorry john

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff & Will. I have been far too busy today (see my thread decisions decisions in the members notice board forum for an explanation) to attempt to try out the tips you have given but I will over the next couple of days. Thanks a million for those tips. Hopefully I can do something with them.

I have copied and pasted them into a photo editing folder for future use.

Hi John,
Assuming a basic knowledge of Photoshop.

Try this for cutting and pasting of images.
Open the two images you want to work with.
Then reduce or enlarge the images to suit the results you want.
For example a bird sitting on a cows back, the bird being in one photo and the cow in another.
Using the magnetic lasso tool 'the one with the little magnet' trace/select the outline of the image you want to cut out. (the bird) Then select the Move Tool 'the one with the black arrow and cross' While image (the bird) is selected hover the Move tool over the image, click and drag it out of the photo into the second photo/image (the cow) and move around until you have it in the position you want. (on the cows back) Make sure
you have it in the position you want before you save it as you cannot move it after it has been saved.
Hope this is clear enough John if not let me know
Regards Stan

Hi again John,
I should have mentioned when using the magnetic lasso if you find it wants to wander off line (maybe where the colour starts to change) just click the mouse and it will make a fixed point. You can do this anywhere while tracing round the image.
Stan

Using Photoshop ,after "cutting out" shape you need to soften the edges - to get a more natural look. Do this by going to Select - Feather. A dialogue box will appear, depending on the size of your image will decide the best setting here ( in pixels ). so play around with your settings to see which looks best. This really is just the gist, you improve with practice.
Just to compilcate matters there are several ways to "cut out" selections in Photoshop.
Hope this helps

It's like the guy who asked how do I get to Carnegie Hall and was told practice, practice practice. With all the excellent information in these posts you should be making great composites with just a little practice.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back