• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Smaller files (1 Viewer)

LMG

How can I reduce the size of my files? I take photos with my digital camera, import them into Photoshop, save them as jpegs but some are still too big to put on the birdforum site.

When you save JPEGs in Photoshop, you are able to control the file quality, and therefore the file size, by using 'Options'. Remember that the quality suffers when you choose a smaller file size, and they can become blocky and patchy when viewed after compressing.

Resize the full image to 640x480 or 800x600 then save (different name and to somewhere else otherwise you could overwrite the original), jpeg compression option should come up and a setting of 5,6 or 7 should be o.k. (some images with lots of fine detail like gravel, leaves or grass can be a struggle to get down to a sensible size).
If you have a modern version of Photoshop you should be able to use 'save for web', here you can compare how much damage the jpeg compression is doing to the image... precious little in most cases.
Regards,
Andy B

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back