• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shore Bird, Maine Coast, USA (1 Viewer)

rambler44

Can you help me ID this shore bird. It feeds alone. It runs in place burying its feet in wet sand, probably to scare up food. In flight it has black bands along the edges of the wing. The black dot behind the eye often looks like a fake eye.

Attachments

• P7192435-2.jpg
    P7192435-2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 103
I assume Black-headed Gull would be a rarity in the states, but for what it's worth the grey shawl and short spikey bill, along with your description of wing pattern help exclude that species which is the closest otherwise in plumage

Jan

Thanks for your quick responses. Glad to finally identify it. My guide book points out that the in winter and with immatures the head is white. Matures in summer have black heads.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back