• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shorebird ID & Ibis ID confirmation - n. central Texas, USA (1 Viewer)

lulubelle

Taken today and the shorebird was a good was off and I didn't have my scope. To add to it, I am usually pretty good on shorebirds, but today my brain just isn't processing the ID on this bird. Have seen plenty of Great & Lesser Yellow Legs - this bird was bigger and in one shot, there is a Little Blue Heron off to the left for size comparison. I am thinking Hudsonian Godwit.

I apologize for the poor photo quality - the bird was a little farther off than my camera could handle well.

5951801051_064db5e8c5_z.jpg 5952354384_19386f9422_b.jpg 5951799681_8d2d1f09d4_b.jpg

I am thinking the Ibis is a Glossy Ibis and as with the shots above, they are NOT great, but I was able to get good views through my bins and have seen plenty of White-faced. I just want to confirm a Glossy. No red eye or facial skin.

5951893579_4625baea3e_z.jpg

Attachments

• 5951801051_064db5e8c5_b.jpg
    5951801051_064db5e8c5_b.jpg
    319.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Greater Yellowlegs for the first bird and Glossy Ibis for the second.

* Here is a photo we took of the two dark ibisis three years ago. They were in a lake side pasture here in Missouri.

Attachments

• Ibises.jpg
    Ibises.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 57
Hmmmm, just because I tried to make a Greater Yellowlegs into something bigger, with a longer bill.......!!!! I'll take your Greenshank any day!!!

Couldn't resist it... ;) Having said that none us us over here are going to be ticking Greater Yellowlegs on views like these in a hurry again! I think it's fair to say given range and the fact these photos rule out Lesser, that yours is a GY though :t:

Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back