• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (47 Viewers)

Cattle Update

3 Cattle have been placed on the Flashes yesterday. 5 more were due to go onto the Moors over the weekend but we have had a happy event! One has given birth to a calf this morning so to save them stress they will held back for a week.

Rob

Just a few shots from the early shift at the Warren this morning.
0617 a Hobby perched in the dead trees on the boundary to the left of the East Hide.
0627 a Pintail in the gloom.
Chiffchaff.
One of three (nine ;)) Wigeon on the reserve.
One for the hirsute Des!

Attachments

• Hobby_forum.jpg
    Hobby_forum.jpg
    420.8 KB · Views: 109
  • Pintail_Forum.jpg
    Pintail_Forum.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Chiff_forum.jpg
    Chiff_forum.jpg
    460.8 KB · Views: 89
  • Wigeon_forum.jpg
    Wigeon_forum.jpg
    458.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Fly2.jpg
    Fly2.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 87
Only down for a couple of hours around lunchtime, impressive numbers of Birders if not birds but still over last autumns 79, without the Osprey that dominated last year. Whinchat glimpsed but v elusive. 2 Ruff strutting their stuff even had one flying low over transmitter field. Excellent day with the sunshine bringing out the warblers.
Good Luck guys couldnt add anything but did see a Wheatear off site but close on the Brickhouse footpath in Stokeheath.

Had a great day at Upton today nice to see so many people I hadn't seen for ages great to catch up with the banter.

On a personal pint I managed 66 species today but all have already been accounted for according to the list at the Avocet hide. it was great too see the cattle at the Flashes 3 young Dexter's unfortunately destined for the grill but beautiful beast's any how

Pictures and complete review on blog from Monday night as Birthday tomorrow and will be out from now and all day tomorrow so have a great birding Sunday everyone and see you soon

Autumn All-Day Birdwatch - Saturday 7th September

Evening Uptonites!

Thanks for all your support today in making another enjoyable, inclusive and successfull All-Day Birdwatch; a special thanks to Dave J, Dave W, Mike W, Simon V, Andy P, Peter E, Vern, Adrian, Gary P, Tony H, Tim & Mary, Trevor J, Paul, Phil W, Graham LaB, Wayne D, Bob W, Simon + Guy, Gert, Janette, Ian, Gavo, Chris C, Paul R, Des and John R (and anyone else taking part that I have missed off / didnt recognise / didnt bump into on the day).

We ended the day on 83 species; not bad considering we didnt add anything after about 11am! The disturbance yesterday afternoon at the Flashes from the cattle installation coupled with the lack of rain today (heavy showers reported nearby in all directions) probably cost us at least 5 species. The list is as follows:

1.Mute Swan (3 ad + 5 young MP) 2.Canada Geese (c250 first thing MP) 3.Greylag Geese (28 MP) 4.Wigeon (3 MP) 5.Gadwall (3 MP) 6.Mallard (c250 first thing MP) 7.Pintail (eclipse male MP) 8.Teal 9.Pochard (male MP) 10.Shoveler 11.Tufted Duck 12.Coot 13.Moorhen (41 across reserve) 14.Water Rail (seen west + east sides of MP, Hen Pool + Flashes) 15.Little Grebe (5+ MP) 16.GC Grebe (3 ad + 2 young MP) 17.Grey Heron (5 MP) 18.Cormorant (2 MP) 19.Pheasant 20.Buzzard 21.Peregerine 22.Sparrowhawk 23.Hobby 24.Kestrel 25.Curlew (21 Fl) 26.Lapwing 27.Redshank (1 Fl) 28.Ruff (2 Fl) 29.Snipe (6 MP) 30.Green Sandpiper (3 Fl) 31.Common Sandpiper (4 Fl) 32.BH Gull 33.Herring Gull 34.LBB Gull 35.Wood Pigeon 36.Collared Dove 27. Stock Dove 38.Feral Pigeon 39.Kingfisher 40.Swallow 41.House Martin 42.Sand Martin 43.Skylark 44.Pied Wagtail 45.Grey Wagtail 46.Meadow Pipit 47.Green Woodpecker 48.GS Woodpecker 49.Wren 50.Robin 51.Dunnock 52.Song Thrush 53.Blackbird 54.Whinchat (seen at Flashes on 3 occasions; possibly 2 birds as both adult + juv reported) 55.Cetti's Warbler 56.Reed Warbler 57.Sedge Warbler 58.Blackcap 59.Whitethroat 60.Lesser Whitethroat 61.Chiffchaff 62.Willow Warbler 63.Goldcrest 64.Trecreeper 65.Nuthatch (east side of MP) 66.Blue Tit 67.Great Tit 68.LT Tit 69.Coal Tit (east side of MP) 70.Willow Tit (both Fl+MP feeding stations) 71.Starling 72.Jay 73.Jackdaw 74.Magpie 75.Carrion Crow 76.Raven (over Fl) 77.Rook (1 over MP causeway, 2 over Fl) 78.Bullfinch 79.Chaffinch 80.Greenfinch 81.Linnet 82.Goldfinch 83.Reed Bunting

In addition there were possibles of Yellowhammer, Redstart and Garden Warbler.

Also of note was a Water Vole seen by Gary in Swampy Bottom off the causeway at the Moors Pool.

I think I ended the day with the biggest individual total with 74 species in 13 hours |=o||=o|

In terms of other sites taking part today, the totals are as follows:

1. Belvide - 92 species
2. Upton Warren - 83
3. Middleton Lakes - 82
4. Venus Pool - 78
5. Sandwell Valley - 63

I will try to track all these lists down and post a comparison spreadsheet tomorrow

PS Good luck to Gavo and Hayley, now two days overdue ......

Last edited:
Late news: Thursday 5th September - immature male Marsh Harrier south over the Sailing Pool (Paul Anstis)

Late news: Monday 2nd September - 6 Common Terns (4 juvs) over Moors Pool

Last edited:
Had a great day at Upton today nice to see so many people I hadn't seen for ages great to catch up with the banter.

On a personal pint I managed 66 species today but all have already been accounted for according to the list at the Avocet hide. it was great too see the cattle at the Flashes 3 young Dexter's unfortunately destined for the grill but beautiful beast's any how

Pictures and complete review on blog from Monday night as Birthday tomorrow and will be out from now and all day tomorrow so have a great birding Sunday everyone and see you soon

Happy birthday tommorrow!:t:

Hi all,

Only made the Flashes for a couple of hours this PM, with not a lot of activity except for a couple of Common Sands placing chase occasionally3:).

1 & 2 Ruff (always distant):smoke:
3 & 4 Common Sandpipers :t:

Chris

PS Nice to meet you Adrian even though I didn`t introduce myself.
(The bloke with the bazooka from Wollescote) 8-P

Attachments

• 1DM42976-a.JPG
    1DM42976-a.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 1DM43096-a.JPG
    1DM43096-a.JPG
    407.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 1DM43145 -a.JPG
    1DM43145 -a.JPG
    382.3 KB · Views: 69
  • 1DM43179-a.JPG
    1DM43179-a.JPG
    393.7 KB · Views: 68
Evening Uptonites!

Thanks for all your support today in making another enjoyable, inclusive and successfull All-Day Birdwatch; a special thanks to Dave J, Dave W, Mike W, Simon V, Andy P, Peter E, Vern, Adrian, Gary P, Tony H, Tim & Mary, Trevor J, Paul, Phil W, Graham LaB, Wayne D, Bob W, Simon + Guy, Gert, Janette, Ian, Gavo, Chris C, Paul R, Des and John R (and anyone else taking part that I have missed off / didnt recognise / didnt bump into on the day).

We ended the day on 83 species; not bad considering we didnt add anything after about 11am! The disturbance yesterday afternoon at the Flashes from the cattle installation coupled with the lack of rain today (heavy showers reported nearby in all directions) probably cost us at least 5 species. The list is as follows:

1.Mute Swan (3 ad + 5 young MP) 2.Canada Geese (c250 first thing MP) 3.Greylag Geese (28 MP) 4.Wigeon (3 MP) 5.Gadwall (3 MP) 6.Mallard (c250 first thing MP) 7.Pintail (eclipse male MP) 8.Teal 9.Pochard (male MP) 10.Shoveler 11.Tufted Duck 12.Coot 13.Moorhen (41 across reserve) 14.Water Rail (seen west + east sides of MP, Hen Pool + Flashes) 15.Little Grebe (5+ MP) 16.GC Grebe (3 ad + 2 young MP) 17.Grey Heron (5 MP) 18.Cormorant (2 MP) 19.Pheasant 20.Buzzard 21.Peregerine 22.Sparrowhawk 23.Hobby 24.Kestrel 25.Curlew (21 Fl) 26.Lapwing 27.Redshank (1 Fl) 28.Ruff (2 Fl) 29.Snipe (6 MP) 30.Green Sandpiper (3 Fl) 31.Common Sandpiper (4 Fl) 32.BH Gull 33.Herring Gull 34.LBB Gull 35.Wood Pigeon 36.Collared Dove 27. Stock Dove 38.Feral Pigeon 39.Kingfisher 40.Swallow 41.House Martin 42.Sand Martin 43.Skylark 44.Pied Wagtail 45.Grey Wagtail 46.Meadow Pipit 47.Green Woodpecker 48.GS Woodpecker 49.Wren 50.Robin 51.Dunnock 52.Song Thrush 53.Blackbird 54.Whinchat (seen at Flashes on 3 occasions; possibly 2 birds as both adult + juv reported) 55.Cetti's Warbler 56.Reed Warbler 57.Sedge Warbler 58.Blackcap 59.Whitethroat 60.Lesser Whitethroat 61.Chiffchaff 62.Willow Warbler 63.Goldcrest 64.Trecreeper 65.Nuthatch (east side of MP) 66.Blue Tit 67.Great Tit 68.LT Tit 69.Coal Tit (east side of MP) 70.Willow Tit (both Fl+MP feeding stations) 71.Starling 72.Jay 73.Jackdaw 74.Magpie 75.Carrion Crow 76.Raven (over Fl) 77.Rook (1 over MP causeway, 2 over Fl) 78.Bullfinch 79.Chaffinch 80.Greenfinch 81.Linnet 82.Goldfinch 83.Reed Bunting

In addition there were possibles of Yellowhammer, Redstart and Garden Warbler.

Also of note was a Water Vole seen by Gary in Swampy Bottom off the causeway at the Moors Pool.

I think I ended the day with the biggest individual total with 74 species in 13 hours |=o||=o|

In terms of other sites taking part today, the totals are as follows:

1. Belvide - 92 species
2. Upton Warren - 83
3. Middleton Lakes - 82
4. Venus Pool - 78
5. Sandwell Valley - 63

I will try to track all these lists down and post a comparison spreadsheet tomorrow

PS Good luck to Gavo and Hayley, now two days overdue ......

Phil, 83 is a pretty good effort well done to the early risers, yeh the curlew sands were a sad loss however, congrats to Belvide, an exceptional total !

Thanks for the donation to the feeding station Chris - much appreciated :t::t:

The Willow Tit demonstated some interesting behaviour today, feeding vigourously on the Moors feeding station before flying down into the grass by the sluice channel. The more frequently it did this, the longer its stays were and the more it would disappear out of sight under the ground vegetation or remain motionless.

Wayne D commented that he saw the Willow Tit at the Flashes undertake the same pattern of activity yesterday, suggesting they are one and the same bird??

great photographs Cooky1 and not to worry about introducing yourself it was great to meet someone else from close to my area

Phil have noticed HOUSE SPARROW missing from the list I saw 2 females in the hedgerow by the car park at the Moors Pools they were going into the field behind and back into the hedgerow before flying towards the concrete hide

Many thanks Gary for the wishes

Phil have noticed HOUSE SPARROW missing from the list I saw 2 females in the hedgerow by the car park at the Moors Pools they were going into the field behind and back into the hedgerow before flying towards the concrete hide

Thanks Adrian - 84 for the day then :t: What time of day was this?

Last edited:
Good to catch up with a few today although i didn't get down till late. Best wishes Adrian for your 50th tomorrow.
Phil, I think I was sat next to you in the avocet hide today but didn't realise till after but well done on the top count.
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back