• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Google Earth.....problem downloading and opening (1 Viewer)

David Smith

Warrington Lancs
I have had and successfully used google earth for a long time. Recently it started playing up (wouldn't fully open in map form etc.)
2 days ago it refused to open at all.
I decided to delete it and start again so I did this via the start/all programmes route (google earth gives a specific 'delete' option) and reload it.
All seemed to go to plan but again, it just wont open.

I have copied the screen which shows what happens when I try to open it- on the attachment........the top shot comes up first then when I click 'OK' the lower sign comes up.

Any ideas/suggestions please.........heeeelp.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• screen.doc
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
Could you attach any screenshots as jpegs please, I can't see the contents of your doc file.

I opened his .doc file with LibreOffice Writer on my Fedora Linux computer and extracted the attached graphics and saved as .jpg.

phil

EDIT: When I had a problem with google earth on my 64bit computer I had to install 32bit libraries before it would work.

Attachments

• Googleerror1.jpg
    Googleerror1.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Googleerror2.jpg
    Googleerror2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I had problems a few days ago as well but starting in DirectX mode seems to have cured it, although there are a couple of changes to my original opening page.

I have deleted everything again and tried re-installing (again :))....this time it came up with "error 7" and couldn't complete the installation.
I have checked my programmes and everything seems to be deleted so it shouldn't conflict.......maybe I should try throwing the computer through the window???

Thanks for that Phil :t:

So there are 3 of you that have had issues with it in the last week or so? What Windows versions do you have? Do you have Google Update and Windows/Microsoft Update running automatically? What graphics cards/chipsets do you have installed?

Thanks for that Phil :t:

So there are 3 of you that have had issues with it in the last week or so? What Windows versions do you have? Do you have Google Update and Windows/Microsoft Update running automatically? What graphics cards/chipsets do you have installed?

Andrew.
As you may know......I am the original technophobe...but will try to answer these questions.
The system is Windows XP home. 2002. Pentium 4.
I haven't asked for any upgrades but when trying to download Google-earth I notice something called Google Gold?? mentioned (no idea what this refers to).
I haven't installed any graphic cards/chips.......although I assume some must have been installed when I purchased it (new) years ago-----certainly none installed for many years.

Any advice gratfully received........thanks for the interest.

SUCCESS.....hope this helps others.

I 'googled' 'Google Earth forums' and found a paragraph that suggested trying one of the older versions............so I tried several (via the links provided) and eventually tried version 5.2.
When I opened this (or tried to) it once again suggested opening it via DirectX.
To do that I went via my 'All Programmes'/Google Earth/Start Google Earth using DirectX mode.
I tried this and it worked.
I've no idea what I did. what DirectX means or why it works but it does......plus it got rid of my original problems.

Nice work David, DirectX is the Microsoft 2D/3D video/gaming accelerator. From Wikipedia:
Microsoft DirectX is a collection of application programming interfaces (APIs) for handling tasks related to multimedia, especially game programming and video, on Microsoft platforms. Originally, the names of these APIs all began with Direct, such as Direct3D, DirectDraw, DirectMusic, DirectPlay, DirectSound, and so forth. The name DirectX was coined as shorthand term for all of these APIs (the X standing in for the particular API names) and soon became the name of the collection.

John, I would try the same route, downgrade (uninstall then reboot, install older version) to v6.2, click on Google Earth (free version) Direct Installer Links on this page and the link will drop down.

Once you get it working again, turn off the Google Updater in Control Panel, Task Scheduler (or uninstall the Updater via Add/Remove Programs), otherwise it's likely to be 'updated' to a buggy version again.

FWIW, I updated to v7 from v6.2 yesterday, it worked fine - but I'd lost a chunk of my 'pushpin' data etc. - there are so many things that can go wrong - and auto-updating, especially on older hardware, is not such a good thing.

Oh, you may find that the Google Earth installer also installs Google Chrome, it happened to me, if you don't want it, uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs.

Andrew Rowlands;2698310 John said:
v6.2[/B], click on Google Earth (free version)

Oh, you may find that the Google Earth installer also installs Google Chrome, .

Ah!!!
Now there's a thing. After uninstalling I didn't reboot before installing again. Yesterday I uninstalled-then switched off-reinstalling today........perhaps the cause of my problem????
Should I tempt fate and try again with the newest version?
Is there any benefit to the newest version ?
What is Google chrome ?

You could try a later version now that the older one is working correctly, if it fails, it only costs you time ;)

Google Chrome is an alternative web browser. !

Can I try the later installing a later version without uninstalling 5.2 i.e. will it automatically get rid of the old one while installing the new one ?

I remember a 'tick box' for Google Chrome which I 'unticked' as I didn't want anything new on that I didn't understand or request.

downgrade (uninstall then reboot, install older version) to v6.2
I have also downgraded Google Earth 7.0.3 to 6.2 recently (at the end of march) because it stopped working in both the DirectX mode and the OpenGL mode (under Windows XP), even after reinstalling DirectX following information from the message box. And since downgrading everything has begun to work fine again.
Once you get it working again, turn off the Google Updater in Control Panel.
Following your information I looked today into the Control Panel - Scheduled Tasks, tasks called GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore and GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA are enabled, but nothing has happen yet. Maybe they update only current version, for example only 6.2, but not upgrade to 7 ? Such settings like schedled tasks, startup programms cand be changed also using Autoruns for Windows.
I updated to v7 from v6.2 yesterday, it worked fine
Today I installed 7.0.2, but again got messages 'DirectX' mode not supported in the DirectX mode and Strongly Recommend 'DirectX' in the OpenGL mode, so uninstalled Google Earth and installed 6.2, which works very well.
I'd lost a chunk of my 'pushpin' data etc.
Very strange. Maybe you deleted them during uninstallation ? User locations are in the myplaces.kml file, on my computer in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth

Last edited:
Very strange. Maybe you deleted them during uninstallation ? User locations are in the myplaces.kml file, on my computer in
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth
It was only 3 'places' that went missing, I imported them since from a 2011 backup kml.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back