• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handbook of the Birds of the World (1 Viewer)

adrian44

The last of the 16 volumes is finally out, and I'm seriously thinking that they would be a great addition to my library. The whole set is £2900 though and this is a massive investment, so I needed to check first: Is this the most definitive and best work on the birds of the world that money can buy, or do you think that there is a better series out there?

Thanks

Firstly, search the book forum for previous discussions on the series and, secondly, I'd say yes but then I got in early and pay a whopping 9 euros/month for each volume...means I won't get V16 until June but it's not like you're needing it for an upcoming trip is it? Very much a coffee-table/library thing...

cheers
McM

If you want the set of books for their content, then surf the web for second-hand/disposal (for poverty/illness/bereavement reasons) offers to diminish wallet damage. If you want the set as a collector, then you either order them from Lynx or you must insist on viewing any offer before purchase - that will not be cheap. I was fortunate in that I met someone who had decided not to continue purchasing the set, and so I obtained the first 8 volumes by paying their asking price. I was able to obtain two other slightly-damaged volumes, which inspired me to complete the set.

I'm interested in the content and don't care about damaged spines or a few water-damaged pages if these still can be separated, but one of the major attractions is the magnificent series of 16 essays in the introductory matter.
MJB

If you want the set of books for their content, then surf the web for second-hand/disposal (for poverty/illness/bereavement reasons) offers to diminish wallet damage. If you want the set as a collector, then you either order them from Lynx

Actually I'm 60% about the content and 40% about the aesthetic value of beautifully crafted books. Considering the price though I might just forget the 40% and go your way in finding used or slightly damaged set.

Can you look at your books and tell me where were they printed?

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back