• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Imperial or Steppe Eagle? Iran (1 Viewer)

Shame on me Tib, last time I felt so bad was the shikra/sprawk thread when you came along and told us err... Gos :C
And I said to myself that this was the least well marked Imperial tail and head I have ever seen.
But don't we learn best from our errors? Especially the ones that hurt :eek!:

Hi Ehsan
as many of us are here for learning, you should tell as why Golden is no option for you
also Tib may further comment, especially on paralell or bulging secondaries, light vent and tail length

Attachments

• IMG-1207.jpg
    IMG-1207.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
we have three new photos.

Attachments

• IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 88
Shame on me Tib, last time I felt so bad was the shikra/sprawk thread when you came along and told us err... Gos :C
And I said to myself that this was the least well marked Imperial tail and head I have ever seen.
But don't we learn best from our errors? Especially the ones that hurt :eek!:

Actually Tom, I think I am going to be the one that eats the humble pie :eek!:.

With the new photos I'd say there is no way that we are looking at a Golden eagle...
In fact on this shot: http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=532003&d=1423422339 the bird looks pretty much like a classic Imperial.

My assumption of GE came from the rather fawn-coloured nape/ crown and what appear to be a dark mask (dark lores etc...), the iris did not look particularly pale either...
I somewhat carelessly ignored the tail and primary barring* and assumed the strange shape (for a GE) was probably due to the bird being captured in an odd pose as it happens so often on pics...But in subsequent pictures there is still nothing that come close to Golden eagle shape-wise: the tail is not that long, no pinch-in wing base, no taperring hand...
I was starting to think about the possibility of a hybrid, but I am afraid that would only be clutching at straws...

*Well I did not completely ignored that part and did think the tail and primary pattern was weird but finally decided that with that head pattern it had to be a Golden eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back