• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's not only the Robins (1 Viewer)

bill moss

Hi folks,

You may recall that I posted some photos a little while ago of my 2 backgarden Robins squaring up to each other.

Well, they haven't been at it since (not in my sight anyway) but now I have a bigger battle going on almost daily. It's my own fault because I've been putting maize out on the ground to try to get the Doves back again. All I've got so far is one pair but I've now got a regular flock of Woodies (up to 12) and this is what happens.

This was one 'encounter', lasted about 5 mins. At least they don't kill each other (well not yet), one of them gives up and gets chased away.

Bill

Attachments

• DS woodie battle 150410 1.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 1.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 17
  • DS woodie battle 150410 2.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 2.JPG
    244.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DS woodie battle 150410 3.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 3.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DS woodie battle 150410 4.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 4.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 14
Finale. Then the one furthest away flew off and the other chased it out of my area.

Attachments

• DS woodie battle 150410 5.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 5.JPG
    259.2 KB · Views: 12
  • DS woodie battle 150410 6.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 6.JPG
    242.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DS woodie battle 150410 7.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 7.JPG
    240.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DS woodie battle 150410 8.JPG
    DS woodie battle 150410 8.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 16
Hi Bill,

Two good sets of photo's of the Woodies squaring up to each other! I am having the same daily in my garden now! The Woodies had reduced in numbers from c15 to about 8 but the tally has risen again to an average of 12 daily! Bless em!!!

hi Bill

Gosh they are really hitting out at each other Och!!! :eek!:

Wonder if it is because there are so many of them in one place (12) birds are a lot to be together.

Hope that they calm down sooner than later.

Regards
Kathy
x

Great photos of the ~Doves of Peace!~ Our doves are exceptionally cranky with one another ... striking with the wings and pecking at the head with their beaks.

Maybe yours are fighting for the territory that has a fine dining restaurant.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back