• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon d90 launched (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
well it seems to be launch a dSLR season.

Nikon have launched the replacement for the d90.

there is a preview here

Looks like a cut down d300 in the same way the d80 was a cut down d200.

Price ? £699 body only and £849 with the 18-105vr kit lens. which is a tadge high I guess but will fall soon enough just like others have.

Last edited:
This just proves that Nikon are always a step ahead of Canon. It has a movie feature! (does the 50D?!?!?)

I reckon it'll sell well given how user friendly the D80 was. If they'd only get a good range of mid-price lenses out they'd absolutley kick ass!

This just proves that Nikon are always a step ahead of Canon. It has a movie feature! (does the 50D?!?!?)

I reckon it'll sell well given how user friendly the D80 was. If they'd only get a good range of mid-price lenses out they'd absolutley kick ass!

Not just a movie feature, it's pretty much a high definition movies feature! The sensor in this camera is much bigger than even a 1200 dollar camcorder.

personally the movie feature doesn't really interest me. then again nor does live view.

I hardly think that adding a movie mode is going to bother most canon users.

Curiously its a function that would have made more sense in a d60.

it'll come down to image quality. given it has (I believe) the d300 sensor it should be rather good.

18-105 VR zzzzzzzzzzz. can we have a 400 f5.6 with VR, an 80-400 with VR and AF-S and a 300f4 with VR. any two of those would be nice.

I'd personally like to see someone make a 500mm f5.6, with AF-S/USM but no stabilisation to keep cost down, it'll be a tripod job anyway. Somewhere around the £1500 mark. :t:

A man can dream.

Exactly. Tannin brought this up a while ago I think and I totally agree. I've just bought a 400mm f5.6, so why isn't there a 500 f5.6, a 600 f5.6 or even a 800 f8? I know you'd lose light and maybe autofocus with a converter, but think of the saving in weight, cost and portability. A perfect 'travel lens'. I used to have a manual focus Nikon 600mm F5.6 about ten years ago. Why can't you get these lenses now?

no market I guess. I believe the vast majority of dslr owners regard 200mm as telephoto. how many big telephotos do they sell really?

I'm hoping for something end of sept!

Last edited:
no market I guess. I believe the vast majority of dslr owners regard 200mm as telephoto. how many big telephotos do they sell really?

I'm hoping for something end of sept!

Both Canon and Nikon had a 400mm F5.6 lens, and Sigma and Tokina too. All but Canon stopped making them, so I think that tells is something. Firstly that they stopped making them. Secondly that they were not big money spinners. My guess is that bird/nature photography has taken off in recent years thanks to digital cameras making photography easier, so the market might well be much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back