• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A special Thanks too Paul Corfield. (1 Viewer)

Bill Durden

Thanks Paul Corfield,JGobell,Vkalla and Neil for all your help with your Posts on this link....http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=100519.

Well I went and did it. Now I have A Orion 80mm ED Refractor. It was cheaper than the Skywatcher 80mm ED Black Diamond OTA.

Also I have all the adapters ( I think ). And got a Manfrotto 501 HDV Pro Video head/3433PL. Don`t have a Kenko Teleplus PRO 300 Teleconverter,GSO 2x Barlow ordered yet, soon I hope.

I put the Scope with the adapters on my EOS 40D onto the 501 head and it balances GREAT.

Now I just have to learn how to use it. Took some pic. The only ones that come out was EC to -2. Got alot to learn yet. But now I`m on the road.

Thanks again for all your help. :D

You're welcome, Bill. BF is a great place for sharing and learning, I've found...

I am surprised that you have to apply EC -2 to get properly exposed images. With my 20D, the TTL exposure meter gives pretty consistent results. I'll try the 50D on it to see if that changes anything.

Regards,
Vandit

Good work Bill. Always glad to help as are most people here as you have found.

My Canon 450D is around EC -2 also, probably around -1 2/3 is where I go for on the viewfinder light meter pretty much all the time for correct exposure.

The Orion 80ED is the same as my Skywatcher Evostar 80ED and basically the same as the newer Skywatcher Black Diamond 80ED which just has the new 2 speed focuser and new paint job as the main differences.

Paul.

Last edited:
Update

Well I finely got all my stuff today. I put the Kenko telplus PRO DG AF 1.4 t-con for canon EOS. Tried to take a picture. And I got Error code 1. Clean lens contacts. I did and still get the error code 1. I put my 100-400 on the camera and it work fine, no error code 1.

I had this set up: camera 40D, Kenko T-con, T mount, adapter that goes into the 50mm extension tube. Did not have the 2" prime fosue adapter or the Gso 2x barlow at the time.

What am I doing wrong ?

A NEWBE in need of alot of Expert advice.

You need to put a piece of tape across the contacts of the teleconverter on the side where it mounts to the camera or you can put tape across the contacts of the camera which is what I personally do. This is because the camera is expecting to see a lens the other side of the teleconverter and when it doesn't see one then the teleconverter reports back an error. This is unavoidable when using the teleconverter with the scope as the scope isn't seen as a lens. With a bit of tape all your problems will be solved. I keep an extra couple of small strips of tape stuck to the body of the camera for those times when I'm out in the field and may have forgotten to tape the contacts beforehand.

Another way to avoid the error is to put a really thin macro tube between the camera and teleconverter and then the camera doesn't know the teleconverter is there and wont report a problem. I sometimes use a 5mm macro tube which also gives a slight boost to the magnification.

Paul.

Last edited:
Thanks Paul for the help.

I had a problem with T-Mount I ordered from Amazon. Had to modify,The locking pin on the camera would not seat in the slot in the t-mount. See here:
http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-T-Mou...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1232184793&sr=1-1. Please read my customer review.

Also,I`m wondering if I ordered the right Barlow. See http://www.agenaastro.com/GSO-2-2x-ED-Barlow-Lens-p/obar-gs-gs22b.htm
It does not look like your in your picture.

Thanks again for taking this ( OLD ) Newbie by the hand and leading me on the right path. Could not have got this far without your help.

Maybe I can get some pictures today, I hope.

I also had to modify a short Kenko spacer to go around this Error 1 problem with my 20D - a little Dremel work on one of the ears of the bayonet fixed the problem. I simply cloned the bayonet mount from a Canon lens on the spacer.

Taping was not enough. I now use this spacer at all times with the scope and never got this error code again.

Sorry Jules.....This went right over my head, don`t have a clue.

You said......I also had to modify a short Kenko spacer to go around this Error 1 problem with my 20D - a little Dremel work on one of the ears of the bayonet fixed the problem. I simply cloned the bayonet mount from a Canon lens on the spacer.

( OLD ) Newbie.

Bill, when I got my Astro-Tech scope, I had an Error 1 message when trying to use it with my Canon 20D. I tried using a Kenko 12mm spacer with taped pins and this didn't fix the problem.

I had to find a solution so I compared the EOS bayonet connector on the spacer with the connector on a Canon lens. Surprise, two of the "ears" of the bayonet were not exactly at the same place. I took my Dremel tool and removed some metal from the ears to make both parts match. See picture 1 and 2 below. Problem solved FOR ME.

This modification would not be needed anymore now that I have added a "Focus Confirmation Chip" to the EOS T Connector. See picture 3.

Please understand that I don't recommend you do this modification. Try it if you want, but I'm not taking any responsibility for success or failure. Please bear in mind that my expertise in those matters is minimal. I only know it worked for me. If I were you, I would try to tape the pins before trying this modification. Ask Paul exactly pins he taped - it worked for him but we have different cameras.

Good luck
Jules

Attachments

• spacer1.jpg
    spacer1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 176
  • spacer2.jpg
    spacer2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 181
  • FocusChip.jpg
    FocusChip.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Thanks Jules for the info. I think I`ll try the tape trick first. I`m prone too mess things up.
I`ll look into the Focus Confirmation Chip.

That's the correct barlow you ordered Bill. The black lens cell unscrews and you then screw it into the scope adapter on the T-ring. The main body of the barlow can then be used as an extension tube.

Paul.

Well...I was able to get some shots this afternoon with Orion 80 ED, Kenko PRO 300 T-Con,50mm extension tube.On Tri-pod, cable release, mirror lock up. EOS 40D.

not knowing what I was doing, done alittle PP.

Still learning, Got a long way to go.

Backyard007_edited-1-1.jpg

Backyard010_edited-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
Just thought I revive this topic.

Bill,
I too am planning on the Orion ED 80, but it'll get attached to a Sony a350. Was wondering since the last post showed your first attempts, if you have got the hang of it? {Although, from your last post, it looks as though there isn't much room for improve-those two photos seemed to be pretty much 'spot on'!}

Scott (love these older topics) B

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back