• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A splash at the Gravel Pit! (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

A short visit to an old gravel workings yesterday was quite an eventful occasion, and a lot of fun to boot!
The weather was glorious and the steep sided gravel pit made a perfect sun trap.
It was a real pleasure just watching all the splishy-splashy goings on from the local water birds, that appeared
to be enjoying this lovely day as much as I was.
During my stay I watched a Coot versus Greylag 100 metre dash, got splashed by an over enthusiastic goose,
almost suffered a head on collision with an incoming Mute Swan, Watched a super Little Grebe doing a very good
Michael Jackson impression, and had a very nosey little Muntjac Deer almost kiss me!
To round it all off, I heard my first Sedge Warbler of the spring, watched loads of Brimstone and Peacock Butterflies
flitting past, noticed the first sitting swan of the season and caught a glimpse of my first Dragonfly!
This realy cured any remnants of the winter blues.

Attachments

• cootRace.jpg
    cootRace.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 16
  • greylagSplash.jpg
    greylagSplash.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 24
  • collision.jpg
    collision.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 14
  • moonwalk.jpg
    moonwalk.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 20
  • MyBestSide.jpg
    MyBestSide.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 17
Wow! Joe. You did have a fun time & a great visit & got some brilliant photo's as well. I love the Little Grebe.

Ha ha! I loved that read, Joe! You did meet some characters.lol!! Great photo's and lucky you with your first Dragonfly sighting! A great winter blues cure indeed!:t:

Hi Joe,

I'm obviously not getting to the right places at the right times.

Did try a trip to a local Golf-course that has lots of water and is usually teeming with life; what did I see......Canada Geese, Mallards and Moorhens.

Great set of photos, I especially like the Swan. I've never managed to get that close to a Muntjac.

Bill

Thank you Val,Pam and Bill!Muntjac around 'my patch' seem to have reached epademic proportions, they are everywhere you go. Mind you, they are very prolific, much like the proverbial rabbits!
I was chatting with a gamekeeper friend the other day and he told me a story about a Muntjac fawn that he hand reared. It became very tame, but at only 9 months old, it 'came into season' heard a buck barking in the woods, jumped the fence to freedom and began her life as a mum!

Lovely to hear the hand reared Muntjac went back to the wild, Joe. A happy ending.

Yes it was a happy ending Val, and to make it better, the estate owner, Lady (better not type her name), told the keepers that no Muntjac were to be shot for the next 12 months.

What fabulous splooshy pics, Joe! I love the titles you give your photos! Sounds like a really nice day out.

What a good trip Joe: and super pics to go with the words. The excellence of your pics makes me want to throw my camera away.
I've been over them several times, and I can't find one that I like more than the others. That's a sure indication that they are a beautiful set. Well done.:clap::clap:

Baz.

Love to hear your story Joe

Lot of 'quarry' characters to keep you busy and they all had their own little tales to tell.

Love your pictures too, and thank you for sharing with us here

Good news that MuntJac Deer are not being affected in any way at all fro a good while.

Cheered me up no end.

Regards
Kathy
x

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back