• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SIGMA 800mm APO dg (1 Viewer)

mdb2

Hi all, has anybody on this forum got any experience with this lens? and maybe a few images to show please. Thanks. Mike

I have the 300-800mm version which I'm very happy with. It is a big beast mind you and for me tends to limit my mobility. I tend to have a place to set up in mind and then stay there. Camera, tripod, gimbal head and lens is all in the region of 12 Kg which after a while tends to feel more like 100Kg.
The Lens is sharp and with the zoom versatile but I've never used the 800mm prime version.
Andrew

thanks andrew, I am considering this lens, and appreciate your comments, I realise its its heavy and large, I will be using it with a 7D. the prime version is a bit more cheaper as well. I will also need to a larger rucksack.what would you advise. regards mike

Mike,

like Andrew I too use the 300-800 and am also a very happy chappy. Ignoring the weight issues (actually its not too bad considering..) I'd say that if the prime is like the zoom then it'll be a cracker, I would suggest the zoom is the better as it's so handy having the range and I tend not to shoot at 800mm very often.

The only down side is the fact that's it's f5.6 and lacks image stabilistation but a bit of practice can help that on a dullish day and an acceptance that not every shot will be a keeper but that's normal for any lens.

I can't help with a rucksack as I carry mine using the shoulder strap supplied or mounted on the tripod over my shoulder for which I would reccomend a bit of padding if you're on a long walk.

There are plenty of examples in my gallery or on my flickr page using the 300-800.

All the best if you take the plunge.
Ian

Some more good points from Ian there Mike.
I'm not sure if there's a bag big enough to take the lens. I like Ian tend to carry it either in the bag it comes with or on the tripod. I do find it very uncomfortable o carry on the tripod however.
I also bought a small trolly from John Lewis that I can strap the lens in its bag to plus tripod and use that to get the lens from say a car park to where I intend to set up. That works well provided the terrain is suitable for a small wheeled trolley - obviously useless over rough terrain on sand or gravel.
I'll see if I can dig out some shots taken with the lens. there's a few on my website but none I can specifically point you to right now.
I bought a Sigma 500mm f4.5 late last year and simply love it. It's my main lens I use now and the 300-800 rarely sees the light of day to be honest.
Andrew

Thankyou both, It will be mainly for hides etc not as a general walkabout lens, I already have the 150-500 for that. will look for a newish s/h model apparently the DG model is better? thanks again mike

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back