• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Zealand in February (2 Viewers)

davidg said:
Aah, just realised Lake Ellesmere is huge! The road along the spit looks interesting - would that be the best place to view from?
best spots are the Harts Creek hide (e.g. great crested grebe and mute swan), Embankment Road (e.g. wrybills and banded dotterels), Greenpark Huts, Jarvis Road, and Yarr's Reserve. It is a large lake, and requires a lot of driving between these sites, and often a bit of walking from where-ever you park. If you're just after wrybills mainly, then go to Embankment Road and Greenpark Huts.

David had been talking as though the whole holiday was driving, if he'd mentioned flying from Auckland to Queenstown I'd missed it.
I know people that have driven Melbourne to Brisbane in one day, though I wouldn't do it myself. I've done 1000km days that was more than enough.
he mentioned it on the previous page. My comment may have come across as more caustic than was intended sorry.

best spots are the Harts Creek hide (e.g. great crested grebe and mute swan), Embankment Road (e.g. wrybills and banded dotterels), Greenpark Huts, Jarvis Road, and Yarr's Reserve. It is a large lake, and requires a lot of driving between these sites, and often a bit of walking from where-ever you park. If you're just after wrybills mainly, then go to Embankment Road and Greenpark Huts.

Yes, assuming I don't pick them up along the way, Wrybill will be the target bird - I can't visit NZ and not see Wrybill!

Thanks again,

David

You'll love NZ David!

I should know, as I'm there at this very moment! Just two days left.

Not strictly a birding trip this one (I'm visiting my Dad), but the birding has been fantastic! Travel has been very limited for me, so I will have to come back some day and hire a car (for Twizel, Kaikoura, Tiritiri etc.).

Best birds have been NZ Falcon at Makarora, Fiordland Penguin at Monro Beach, Haast, and of course the Yellow-eyed Penguins and Royal Albatross at Taiaroa Head (Monarch 1 hour boat cruise recommended for these, plus NZ Sea-lions and NZ Fur-seals. We also very luckily had a pod of Hector's Dolphin ride our bow!).

No mothing of course, but have managed to see and identify a couple of species. Three butterfly species identified too.

I'll post more details of the trip on my thread at the end. Here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213493

Last edited:
You'll love NZ David!

I should know, as I'm there at this very moment! Just two days left.

Not strictly a birding trip this one (I'm visiting my Dad), but the birding has been fantastic! Travel has been very limited for me, so I will have to come back some day and hire a car (for Twizel, Kaikoura, Tiritiri etc.).

Best birds have been NZ Falcon at Makarora, Fiordland Penguin at Monro Beach, Haast, and of course the Yellow-eyed Penguins and Royal Albatross at Taiaroa Head (Monarch 1 hour boat cruise recommended for these, plus NZ Sea-lions and NZ Fur-seals. We also very luckily had a pod of Hector's Dolphin ride our bow!).

No mothing of course, but have managed to see and identify a couple of species. Three butterfly species identified too.

I'll post more details of the trip on my thread at the end. Here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=213493

Hi Sean,

I saw your earlier posting on the this forum and thought you were probably in NZ, then saw you identifying moths at 2.30 in the morning and that confirmed it! You've got some of my much longed-for birds there so I'll look forward to reading your report. We're visiting Dunedin so I'll look out for the Taiaroa Head trip - we've already got several boat trips organised but one more can't hurt! Unfortunately we're not going anywhere near Makarora or Haast but hopefully we'll pick those species up along the way - although the penguin is liable to be difficult in February, I gather.

Any suggestions for an NZ butterfly guide? I can't find anything online.

Have a good trip back.

David

So you missed this then?!: http://nzbutterfly.info/

Very good site. Excellent feature on the left of the page 'Flying in _(month)_'.

Go to 'Butterflies' at the top of the page, and go to 'ID Guide' and 'Online' for excellent info on all NZ species.

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear, I'll be without internet access except for my smartphone so I'm looking for a printed guide that I can keep in the car and use whilst out and about.

David

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear, I'll be without internet access except for my smartphone so I'm looking for a printed guide that I can keep in the car and use whilst out and about.

David

Press 'Butterflies', 'ID Guide' and 'Printable' and you can print out a guide. It hasn't got as many species on it as the online guide, but it covers the commonest ones.

Last edited:
Auckland to Te Anau in one day is huge, are you sure?

I did Oxford to Milford Sound non-stop... Flight from London->Sydney->Queenstown then jumped straight in a hire car and drove to Milford Sound, ticking off Rock Wren on the way. I could just about claim this is the longest range twitch ever :). A picture of the "Homer Tunnel big boulder" is on my picasa pages at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/115738510013418169108/NewZealand#5560617938313461714

Much of the info I could contribute has already appeared but here's my 2c.
I did a real whistle-stop tour of some key sites in the day before and the days after a conference, Nov 2010.

1. At Twizel I recommend popping in to the visitor centre where the Black Stilt breeding programme is run. They were very helpful to me in pointing to sites where there were known pure Black Stilts. There are lots of hybrids so you do need to be careful in identification and gather as much gen as you can about where to go.

2. Near the mouth of the braided river below Mt Cook is where I had my only adult Black Stilt. This is also supposed to be a good site for breeding Wrybill, but I didn't see any there, and I don't know if they are still present in Feb/March.

3. I did have Wrybill at the mouth of the Ashley River just north of Christchurch, a short diversion from the Christchurch-Kaikoura Rd, so this might be worth a quick stop if you are unlikely to get to Miranda. There is also a site near Auckland airport that I didn't visit but which was my backup plan for Wrybill if I had failed elsewhere: various trip reports mention the shore around Ambury Farm Park and the causeway to Puketutu Island.

4. I did the Ocean Beach kiwi trip, and though it wasn't cheap, the boat trip out as the sun was setting very scenic and the walk up and over to the beach quite exciting (we also saw Fairy Prions by spotlight on the boat trip back from the beach). If I'd had more time I think I'd prefer to walk to the south side of Stewart Island and try to find one (read Larry Wheatland's account of his trip for a rollercoaster account with a happy ending), but on balance I'd recommend it if you don't have a few days to spare.

5. Look at http://www.birdingnz.net. One of the reasons birdforum does not have a lot of traffic about NZ birding is because most of it goes through the national forum. I am sure people there would have up-to-date info.

6. Tiri Tiri Matangi is definitely worth a trip and also something that can be enjoyed by non-birders, though they might not have the patience to wait for a skulking Kokako or Spotless Crake. Later the same afternoon I went up to Wenderholm Park and got NZ Dotterel on the beach. I originally booked to stay on the island to try for Little Spotted Kiwi, but it was my last day before flying home. So I cancelled rather than run the small risk being stranded if the ferry got cancelled because of the weather, which does happen from time to time.

That trip was done on my own with a lot of driving (and flying) to maximise visits to key sites. However I would love to go back and take the family (indeed we are seriously thinking about this for January 2013). Though my wife and daughters are distinctly non-birding, NZ is a place I would happily take them and try to combine holiday with birding because the scenery is stunning and in places like Tiri Tiri or Ulva, the wildlife quite tame and accessible. I would even take them out on one of the Kaikoura pelagics and expect them to enjoy it because of the numbers of birds, the setting, and because (as others have said) it's short and sweet. I actually did two trips on one day and even considered doing a dolphin swim in between (I didn't in the end -- I stayed in at the cafe and enjoyed a fantastic eggs benedict for breakfast and used their wifi).

Cheers, Ian

Thanks Ian, more good suggestions there. I hadn't come across the birdingnz site before - that looks particularly useful, especially if I can manage to access it whilst in NZ. Also useful to see a picture of the rock at Homer tunnel!

Did you find any Kiwi on your Ocean Beach trip?

David

Last edited:
Thanks Ian, more good suggestions there. I hadn't come across the birdingnz site before - that looks particularly useful, especially if I can manage to access it whilst in NZ. Also useful to see a picture of the rock at Homer tunnel!

Did you find any Kiwi on your Ocean Beach trip?

David

At least two on the beach showed well to the crowd. My 30D + 100-400lens struggled with the torchlight (no flashes!!), but the chap with the 7D and f2.8 300m filled his boots. Then on the walk back to the boat an adult and young bird walked across the track in front of us.

BTW I took the Mitre Peak cruise on Milford Sound. It was the earliest to leave so wewere not following in anyone's wake and gave the best chance of Fjordland Crested Penguin. We had three on the rocks that showed well at the head of the sound, but they were just entering the water as we arrivedso the next boat would have missed them.

I also got the first water-taxi to Ulva available so I was first on the island. Can't remember the name of the driver but could dig it out and post or PM if that'd be useful. He was great.

Cheers, Ian

At least two on the beach showed well to the crowd. My 30D + 100-400lens struggled with the torchlight (no flashes!!), but the chap with the 7D and f2.8 300m filled his boots. Then on the walk back to the boat an adult and young bird walked across the track in front of us.

Cheers, Ian

I got great video of the kiwis with that nightshot thing most video cameras have.
Chris

BTW I took the Mitre Peak cruise on Milford Sound. It was the earliest to leave so wewere not following in anyone's wake and gave the best chance of Fjordland Crested Penguin. We had three on the rocks that showed well at the head of the sound, but they were just entering the water as we arrivedso the next boat would have missed them.

I also got the first water-taxi to Ulva available so I was first on the island. Can't remember the name of the driver but could dig it out and post or PM if that'd be useful. He was great.

Cheers, Ian

Hi Ian,

I have a similar set up to you (40D + 100-400) so I doubt if I'll even bother taking it along. I did consider upgrading to 7D but there is no budget left!

We're doing the Doubtful Sound trip but I suspect too late in the season for the penguins.

I've booked a guided tour on Ulva Island with a chap called Furhana, may well be the same guy, I guess.

David

I got great video of the kiwis with that nightshot thing most video cameras have.
Chris

Hi Chris,

Now there is a bit of budget for a camcorder so I must make sure I get one with the 'nightshot thing'. Is that the technical term? ;) What make and model camera did you use?

David

Hi Chris,

Now there is a bit of budget for a camcorder so I must make sure I get one with the 'nightshot thing'. Is that the technical term? ;) What make and model camera did you use?

David

It was a Sony but it was several years ago. They seems to have become very cheap and excellent quality. Hopefully someone with more up to date knowledge will be ale to help, but we did get lots of great memories that a stills camera would have missed. Chris

Hi Ian,

I have a similar set up to you (40D + 100-400) so I doubt if I'll even bother taking it along. I did consider upgrading to 7D but there is no budget left!

We're doing the Doubtful Sound trip but I suspect too late in the season for the penguins.

I've booked a guided tour on Ulva Island with a chap called Furhana, may well be the same guy, I guess.

David
Furhana is a she ;)

David

I didn't have a guide on the island itself and only had less than a full morning before I had to leave to get back to Invercargill (and perhaps consequently missed Yellowhead), though I had been in email contact with Ulva Goodwillie (she's named after the island!) and she suggested Peter Cox for my water taxi. Peter picked me up as early as allowed -- i.e. dawn because pre-dawn arrival and post-dusk stay on the island not permitted -- and returned to fetch me at the agreed time. People do see Kiwi there in the day pretty regularly, but not me :-(.

Another suggestion: if you are going through Invercargill then paying a visit to Ian and Jenny Gamble's place gives a really good chance of SI Fernbird. After I left Ulva by water taxi back to Halfmoon Bay, I flew to Invercargill where Ian met me at the airport and took me to their place. We walked through their private nature reserve and saw two or three Fernbirds, had a very pleasant afternoon tea at their B&B, and 2 hours later Ian dropped me back at the airport so I could fly to Christchurch and drive to Kaikoura in time for a pelagic the next morning (told you it was whistle-stop tour!). Again if I'd had time this would have been a great place to stay, and they are great people running a really worthy conservation project privately.

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back