• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Touring New Zealand (1 Viewer)

Ebird follows the Clements checklist, which is a tad more conservative (and perhaps slower?), hence the differences between IOC and Ebird. Albatross taxonomy is a complete mess, and I think it will be awhile before a consensus exists on how many species of Albatross exist.

Anyway your posts have been useful reading...hopefully I will be in NZ for most of this summer, so I will be visiting some of the places you have been frequenting.

Yes, I have checked IOU, Clements, and other lists and they are all different. I decided to use the IOU list so my lifelist on paper is different from that in Ebird. I saw the White-capped Albatross but not the Salvins or Shy. Some lists have these birds combined. I saw the South Island Saddleback which is identical to the North Island bird and in some lists is counted as two birds, others only one. I counted the North and South Royal Albatross but I did not count the South Island Saddleback. I wish they could agree. Thank you for your comments.

I am curious on why you don't count the Saddlebacks. Looking at the online IOC checklist, they recognize the North and South Island Birds as different species. Are you using the website or a downloaded version of the list? The webpage is more up to date

But why? They look totally different as immatures, so much so that the 'jackbird' was initially thought to be a species in its own right! And they have been separated for how long, naturally? Even the adults differ with the subtle golden band on the nape, nice

I'm just not a splitter. The two islands have only been separated since the end of the Ice Age. South Island saddleback went as far north historically as the northernmost Marlborough islands, and the North Island saddleback as far south as the southernmost point of the North Island; there's not a lot of distance there. Some minor plumage differences in the adults and that the juvenile of one differs from that of the other is not a cause to make them full species in my opinion. There are numerous examples of similar circumstances in other bird subspecies.

New Zealand's a complex beast though. You've got things like the whitehead and yellowhead on each island, and some species restricted to one island (eg brown creeper, huia, stitchbird). At the moment though NZ bird taxonomy (as elsewhere) is in a splitting phase and everything is getting divided up. I can agree with some things but not others (I can't split the NI and SI robins either).

While the island might have been joined, the environment in NZ would have been much different during the glacial maximum. It's possible that differences in habitat distribution would have made dispersal between both islands difficult, or that both populations were restricted to refugium and not at anywhere near their Holocene level distribution

Just my two cents on NZ biogeography

The North Island and the South Island Saddleback look pretty much the same except for a faint gold line that I did not notice. The Northern and Southern Albatross are different. The Southern has big white splotches on its wings and is larger. Apparently appearence is not important. In Belize I saw the Mangrove Warbler which has a rusty-colour head but is not counted as a separate bird from the Yellow Warbler. I saw the Couches and Tropical Kingbirds which are identical but they sound different. The experts who make up the various checklists cannot even agree on what is a separate species. It is too complicated for me. Mostly if various checklists cannot agree on what is what, then I just go with appearance. Do they look or sound different? Sometimes I agree with the splits and sometimes not. If all the experts agreed on this, there would only be one list and I would go with that. In the meantime, what else can I do but just decide for myself on a case-by-case basis.

Last edited:
I went to Orokonui Sanctuary to search for the Fernbird. I went there at 10am and by 3:15 I had given up on finding a Fernbird and was on my way to the gate to leave when I finally saw two of them in a small bush. Orokonui is a fenced predator-free sanctuary like Zealandia in the North Island. Unless you are heading north and it is your last chance to see the Fernbird, I would not bother going here. I saw many more birds at Zealandia including Kaka, Takehe, and Red-fronted Parakeets that I did not see here. Also at Zealandia, the birds are approachable for a good look and photos. At Orokonui the birds are very shy and most fly off at the sight of you. They have Fernbirds but not very many or least they are not easly to find. I did have a good look at the Tomtit. I had seen this bird before in black and white but this is the first time I saw an adult male with the yellow on his breast. I also looked for Rifleman but didnt see any. I saw the Rifleman once before on Ulva Island but it was a dark and gloomy day and even darker in the forest. I would like to see another one for a better look.

Orokonui is a much newer sanctuary than Zealandia so there are still a lot fewer birds there because the numbers have not built up so much yet. In future years it will be fantastic. Apparently there are lots of fernbirds at Orokonui, they are just difficult to find (as everywhere).

Went to the Little Penguin colony at Pilot Beach on the Otago Peninsula. The penguins spend the day at sea and return as it gets dark. We had a great view of them coming across the beach and up the hill right in front of us. It was wonderful. Saw about 50 penguins. I highly recommend this event for birders and non-birders alike.

I am now at Twizel to look for the Black Stilt. I know that it is very rare and chances are slim but I will give it a try. There is a Black Stilt bird hide but this only allows you to see captive birds. Still looking for the NZ Falcon. Any tips on where to see either of these birds?

for black stilt ask at the DoC site and elsewhere in Twizel and someone may be able to tell you a spot. When you get to Tekapo (if you are heading that way) take the road up the west side of the lake towards Lake Alexandrina and there are very often black stilt in the pools along the way.

There are resident falcons around Tekapo as well. (There was a photo posted in the Identification section of Birdforum a while ago of a falcon perched atop the Church of the Good Shepherd: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=234901).

Mt John Observatory at Lake Tekapo is the traditional site for chukar as well if you're interested in those.

Tom,

I found them easily enough if rather distant at Lake Tekapo (drive beyond the Mt John's Obsevatory turn-off and view the lake from just after the abandoned caravans). Glentanner airfield along the Mt Cook road was even better with birds much closer.

The information site in Twizel were of no help, telling me the only way to see BS was on one of their guided tours.

Good luck,

David

I went to Lake Pukaki near Glentanner and added three new birds there. I saw 8 Black Stilt, 10 Double-banded Plover (aka Banded Dotterel), and 2 Black-fronted Terns. I could see the stilts fairly well in my binos although they were a bit distant. (Thanks David, right where you said they were). There is a stream between the airstrip and the lake which prevented me from getting closer. I considered wading it but it looked to be deep and swift and I did not want to stress the birds. The Double-banded Plover were common along the stream on both sides.
There is a very nice campground at Glentanner where we spent the night and I saw a Ring-necked Pheasant there which I have seen many times in North America but was a first in NZ. Strange though, it lacked the white ring around its neck.
At Mt Cook I did some hiking and looked for Rock Wren and Blue Duck but didnt see them. I did see one little green birds in the parking lot at the visitors centre but did not have my binos or camera handy and am not sure if it was Rifleman or Rock Wren but I don't think Rock Wren would be in a busy parking lot in the village would it? I was not expecting to see anything exciting in the parking lot.
I am now at Lake Tekapo looking for falcons.

Last edited:
Drove around the Lake Tekapo area today looking for Falcons. I went to the observatory and then to Lake Alexandrina and Lake McGregor. I didnt see any Falcons or Chukar but I did see ten more Black Stilt in various ponds and lakes. Also saw some Great Crested Grebes displaying with their crest erect which was really nice. A good day. The Falcon is now at the top of my Most Wanted list. Also looking for Grey Teal, NZ Grebe, Shore Dotterel, Black-fronted Dotterel, Fairy Tern, Parasitic Jaeger, Yellow-crowend Parakeet, Long-tailed Cuckoo, Kokako, and several pelagic birds.

you seem to be seeing a lot of black stilts.

For the other birds:
Grey teal: loads of them in Christchurch when you get back up that way. Look at the sewage ponds and the nearby Bexley Reserve. You should see hundreds of them. Or Travis Wetlands. Or pretty much anywhere else with water really.

NZ grebe: I assume you mean the dabchick seeing you've seen crested grebe. There aren't any in the South Island. There are lots of spots in the North Island though. If you're going back to Auckland they are at Mangere, as are black-fronted dotterels. The ponds behind the estuary at Napier also have dabchicks and black-fronted dotterels, both very easy to find there (with an added bonus of plumed whistling ducks elsewhere in Napier). Dabchicks can also be easily found at Waikanae north of Wellington.

Shore dotterel: Do you mean the shore plover? The only chance you've got is the fire station at Plimmerton just north of Wellington where a good-sized flock regularly occurs. There is also a lone one hanging around Miranda by Auckland.

Fairy tern: way up north.

Parasitic jaeger: Arctic skua? Keep an eye out at the coasts, they are around.

Yellow-crowned kakariki: Hawdon Valley is reliable, with a chance for orange-fronted kakariki as well.

Long-tailed cuckoo: anywhere is possible really. The most "reliable" spot is Kapiti Island.

Kokako: Tiritiri Matangi Island off Auckland.

Thanks for all the good tips. I will check them out. I am now at Christchurch, working my way back to Auckland. Yes I did see a lot of Black Stilts, 18 in total in several different locations. I was surprised at how many I found and close enough for a photo. No falcons though. (where is Hawdon Valley?)

Last edited:
Hawdon Valley is near Arthurs Pass.

There are falcons at Victoria Park in the hills above Christchurch but I've never seen them there. There is also a breeding pair at Zealandia (Karori Wildlife Sanctuary) in Wellington which can usually be found.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back