• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SDL Zoom (1 Viewer)

I tested my SDL zoom eyepiece under 'good' test conditions today...grey skies, deeply overcast, freezing cold...typical spring day!

Results were excellent. Good colour, pin sharp and bright image. It also appears strongly made and has a 'quality' feel.

I have always used non-zoom eyepieces up to now and so was really pleased with the results obtained with the SDL zoom.

Allan.

Henry B said:
Allan,how would it stand up to the HDF zoom eyepiece, ..have you ever looked through one of those?

Henry

I've never used a HDF zoom, but I have used the Leica zoom and would say the SDL zoom compares well with that.

Allan

I am a HDF user and I tried the SDL out recently. I can't say that I was impressed with the new eyepiece. The field of view is slightly narrower than HDF and because of the chunky dimensions and the size of the exit pupil (the piece of glass closest to your eye), it is no good for digiscopeing. I use a Nikon 4500 for digiscopeing and the filter thread is 28mm, The SDL exit pupil is wider than 28mm. This means that if you digiscope without an adaptor, and possibly with an adaptor, the glass on the eyepiece is likely to be scratched. Also it may be difficult to find an adaptor to fit the lens, as it appears very wide. I didn't think the definition was much better than the HDF.

Jackie

Henry B said:
Looks like the HDF wins this one.

Henry B

It looks as if the SDL lens is not so hot for digiscoping, but as I don't digiscope but sketch and paint I still recommend this zoom.

You can only report as you find.

Allan

I have just bought an SDL eyepiece today and I found it very good in the field. I thought it was better at higher mags than the HDF, but not much different at lower magsand also a slightly brighter image.

If anyone is woundering about adapers, Infocus have some that fit 4500 and contax u4r that go well with either eyepiece and only cost 40 pounds.

Paul

Paul Jarvis said:
I have just bought an SDL eyepiece today and I found it very good in the field. I thought it was better at higher mags than the HDF, but not much different at lower magsand also a slightly brighter image.

If anyone is woundering about adapers, Infocus have some that fit 4500 and contax u4r that go well with either eyepiece and only cost 40 pounds.

Paul
Paul, what scope are you using ?

In direct comparison (two Opticron ES 100 lined up) with the HDF zoom, the SDL zoom was indeed the superior eyepiece; it was slightly brighter with better contrast and the colors were slightly "warmer". IMHO, this was rather clearly visible even at the lowest magnification (27X).

OTH, the FOV at the lowest magnification goes down from the HDF's not-too-impressive 29 m (at 1000 m) to even-less-impressive 25 m. As I have allready trouble finding flying birds with the HDF zoom, I'm not really convinced that I'm going to swap.

Strangely, at the highest magnification (80X) the SDL has a wider FOV (14 m vs 12 m).

TTT said:
In direct comparison (two Opticron ES 100 lined up) with the HDF zoom, the SDL zoom was indeed the superior eyepiece; it was slightly brighter with better contrast and the colors were slightly "warmer". IMHO, this was rather clearly visible even at the lowest magnification (27X).

OTH, the FOV at the lowest magnification goes down from the HDF's not-too-impressive 29 m (at 1000 m) to even-less-impressive 25 m. As I have allready trouble finding flying birds with the HDF zoom, I'm not really convinced that I'm going to swap.

Strangely, at the highest magnification (80X) the SDL has a wider FOV (14 m vs 12 m).
I wonder how those figures match up with the es80..

Henry B said:
I wonder how those figures match up with the es80..

HDF zoom 20-60X: 35/16

SDL zoom 20-60X: 32/18

Again, you loose something at the lowest magnification, but gain something at the highest.

TTT said:
HDF zoom 20-60X: 35/16

SDL zoom 20-60X: 32/18

Again, you loose something at the lowest magnification, but gain something at the highest.
Thanks for info,but I will try and find one to try before I make my mind up..

Henry B said:
Allan,how would it stand up to the HDF zoom eyepiece, ..have you ever looked through one of those?

Hi All,

Santa wifey treated me to an early xmas pressie yesterday of an SDL zoom.
I traded in my HDF zoom & have to say after a more extensive field test today watching a Black Throated Diver at a local GP, that it is a superb bit of kit. Compared to the HDF, IMO it is brighter, more contrasty, esp at high mag, & the wider fov at 60x is a big advantage . I am using the ep in tandum with an ES80ED, which together make an excellent setup. The only point to be aware of concerning the SDL, (if you don't wear glasses), is the high relief eye cup, but this is addressed by turning the eye cup back about half way.

Cheers,

John :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back