• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worth a try ! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

Hi All,

I bought a Pomegranate over a week ago, I always buy them when they are in the shops they remind me of my childhood. I bet there are a few of you who can remember seemingly sitting for hours picking the seeds out of a pomegranate? Those were the days (sigh).

Anyway must get on topic, the Pomegranate was not eaten and the Rind had gone really hard, so whilst I was chopping a pear and some apples for our feathered friends I wondered if they would perhaps eat it. So I cut it in half and placed one half on the ground feeder, I half expected the Squirrel to carry it off, but no it was still on the ground feeder a day later untouched.

Then I spotted this afternoon a female Blackie having a feast on the Pomegranate, hooray !! :D :D

I retrieved the other half from the peddle bin, as this morning I threw it away thinking it was a waste of time keeping it. So if anyone has a Pomegranate that is as hard as a Cricket ball, please don't throw it away !!

Happy birding

Hi Pam,

I love pomegranate and they are so good for you too.I so remember picking out the fruit with a pin but if you got too impatient and got a bit of the yellow pith in your mouth ooooh what faces. :-C

Any fruit we don't eat I put out for the birds Pam and the only slow going one up to now has been the banana, for some reason,although some birds must like them. :flyaway:

Oh Mary, who could forget the yellow pith, yuk !!

I also have tried bananas but not had many takers. I will try again, now the weather has gone a little colder (brrrrrrrrr) . 3:)

Keep warm and happy birding.

3:) Never really thought about feeding pomegranate to the birds but not surprised really that it seems to have gone down well Pam.
I do remember sitting with my needle as a child. Used to love them. I did try one a while ago and it just wasn't the same!!! May get some fopr the birds though.

Pam_m said:
I also have tried bananas but not had many takers. I will try again, now the weather has gone a little colder (brrrrrrrrr) . 3:)

Keep warm and happy birding.

Hello Pam

Definitely keeping warm - there's nothing like sitting in a comfy armchair with a cup of tea and binoculars!!!! :t:

I find overripe pears and grapes go down the best, not many takers for bananas here either.

I hope you also are keeping warm and cosy. :cool:

Bridie

Hi Pam,

Haven't tried Pomegranate, not something I've even thought of for years (yes I was also one of the 'winkle-picking' brigade). OK I'll get one next time I go to the Supermarket.

Mark you, I have enough trouble keeping up with the demand for Conference Pears and Grapes. I tried halved Apples but they (Blackbirds mostly) only ate the flesh and left the skin and core to be cleaned up by me; on the other hand I find that with halved Pears they eat the lot, all that's left is the little blue labels. Grapes they go mad for, they lurk under the bushes and dash out and grab one and dash back again. Haven't seen the Starlings at either Grapes or Pears but that may be because the Blackbirds get there first.

And yes, grated Mild Cheddar Cheese also disappears pronto.

Bill.

Bridie said:
Hello Pam

Definitely keeping warm - there's nothing like sitting in a comfy armchair with a cup of tea and binoculars!!!! :t:

I find overripe pears and grapes go down the best, not many takers for bananas here either.

I hope you also are keeping warm and cosy. :cool:

Bridie

Overripe.....Pears,Apples,grapes go like magic here too.

I am keeping warm and cosy too Pam and Bridie but swapped the tea for wine.Well after a hard days work I am worth it :cat:

I got a pomegranate last week, just for old time's sake, and as my days of needle picking are long gone I thought I would try to juice it on one of those old fashioned citrus juicers. What a mess! I got a few teaspoons of juice and the rest went in the bin. It never occurred to me to give it to the birds. However, while in the supermarket I saw a 2lb bag of apples reduced to 39p, perfectly good Braeburns they were, the blackbirds and starlings have nearly finished them off. I cut the apples in half and as each one is eaten I put soaked dried fruit in the empty shells. I also bought some packs of sausage rolls which were past their sell-by date. I took all the pastry off, chopped it finely and put it in the freezer ready for the cold weather. It must have been tempting fate as the frosts came soon after.

I'm a real cheapskate sometimes but it puts food on the table for the birds!

Mary Evelyn said:
...... and the only slow going one up to now has been the banana, for some reason,although some birds must like them ....
The local songthrushes around here seem to like banana ... as do the hedgehogs :eat:

AnnieW said:
The local songthrushes around here seem to like banana ... as do the hedgehogs :eat:

Hi Annie,

We get a lot of hedgehogs too and the song thrush the other day was tucking into melon,pears and apples,other things too. I knew something was taking the banana,although, I have never see anything and it seems to go very slowly.Still,I always put bananas out when I have them left over, just disappointed at the slowness of takers. :cat:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back