• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oare Marshes,Kent, Friday 21st May 2004 (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
The morning spent at Oare Marshes in N Kent wasn't particularly productive. What was worse was that the recent sunny weather had given way to overcast conditions and a prolonged shower at 11am, but, nonetheless, I did see the following:

West Lagoon

120 Black-Tailed Godwits
6 Avocets
2 Dunlin

East Lagoon

2 Marsh Harriers
4 Little Egrets
2 Yellow Wagtails

Admittedly high tide hadn't yet happened, but, for a day in mid-May, I'd hoped for more. At 12:00 I ventured into Faversham for a bite to eat and a spot of shopping.

By a quirk of fate I decided to return to Oare since the weather had improved significantly and straight away was confonted with a Spoonbill amongst six Little Egrets on the East lagoon at 2:45pm. The feature of this bird which struck me most, apart from the bill of course, were two yellow-orange 'rings' on each leg, just above the knee. Through my 'scope I could see each bore the letters 'AR' in black capitals. The bird was a subadult as defined by the pinkish tipped bill and black edged outer primaries.

The Spoonbill showed well, feeding and roosting out in the open until 4:10pm when it mysteriously vanished into the vegetation in the NE corner and became very shy indeed. It did fly off towards the SE at 5pm, became a mere dot, then returned to the NE corner once again. Then, it returned to being an extravert and fed in the middle of the lagoon before suddenly flying off and vanishing in a southerly direction at 5:45pm.

While the Spoonbill was showing the birding activity hotted up on the east lagoon. First a lone Whimbrel flew north, then a drake Garganey appeared for a few minutes by the reeds on the far side and finally two Little Terns flew north just before the Spoonbill's departure.

I left for home at 6pm feeling more than satisfied with my decision to return. If only more days could be like that!

Incidentally, I have posted a request on the 'Bird Ringing' forum asking for anyone who knows the origins of this bird to reply to my post.

Regards,
Lancey

Attachments

• spoonbill 002.jpg
    spoonbill 002.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 116
  • spoonbill 003.jpg
    spoonbill 003.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 155
  • spoonbill 004.jpg
    spoonbill 004.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 145
  • spoonbill 005.jpg
    spoonbill 005.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back