• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please ID (European) Honey Buzzard or Oriental Honey Buzzard (1 Viewer)

wittmann

Time:09-24-2010
Location: china Xinjiang Altai region Buerjin county,near Irtysh river.
N47 41 E86 50
Gear:canon 50d + EF400/5.6

photo by a friend of mine

Attachments

• 000-1.jpg
    000-1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 000.jpg
    000.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 001a7.jpg
    001a7.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 176
  • 001Fk.jpg
    001Fk.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 149
  • 001g.jpg
    001g.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 120
other pic

Attachments

• 001KGAW.jpg
    001KGAW.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 001ukV.jpg
    001ukV.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 95
  • 001V.jpg
    001V.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 114
  • 001vc.jpg
    001vc.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 0015.jpg
    0015.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 135
Hi Wittman - all you birds seem very good for Oriental Honey Buzzard - but to tell the truth most birders in China - even in a NW province like Xinjiang - because of range, would tick off all Honey Buzzards as Oriental.
I don't know if Eurasian Honey Buzzard is included in the China list - but it's not included in MacK Field Guide. The place where these two species overlap is in the middle-east - so for an introduction to separating these species have look at this old Birdforum thread that, among comments on ID, gives a link to an Israeli birding site.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=53882

Last edited:
Hi Wittman - all you birds seem very good for Oriental Honey Buzzard - but to tell the truth most birders in China - even in a NW province like Xinjiang - because of range, would tick off all Honey Buzzards as Oriental.
I don't know if Eurasian Honey Buzzard is included in the China list - but it's not included in MacK Field Guide. The place where these two species overlap is in the middle-east - so for an introduction to separating these species have look at this old Birdforum thread that, among comments on ID, gives a link to an Israeli birding site.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=53882

both species are on the Mongolian list, presumably Eurasian occurs in the far west. These are great photos of Oriental Honeys.
James

Excellent photos, clearly showing the 6 primary tips diagnostic of Oriental (European has 5).

both species are on the Mongolian list, presumably Eurasian occurs in the far west.
I would also concur with this idea - the Altai mountain area of Xinjiang is part of the the Great Northern Steppe area that includes Mongolia. Xinjiang as an area is a natural gateway from the orient to the middle-east (the old Silk Road). As such it represents a transition area between zones that could be described as Sahara and Arabian deserts and Western and Central Asia, and acts as a boundary of range for many Western species. In such circumstances I should think that Honey Buzzards seen in the area - especially during passage - should be carefully checked for the chance of Eurasian Honey Buzzard.

Last edited:
Very nice OHB indeed.
Six fingers, broad wings, small looking head, broad and short looking tail, lack of dark carpal patch,

1. looks like an adult female
2. ad female (with a Buzzard)
3 ad female
4.ad female
5.ad female (with LLB)
6.ad female.
7.ad female (same as nr 6)
8.ad females.
9.ad female.
10.ad female.

And a male:

http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=linto1220718666&lang=fin

Check these:

http://www13.plala.or.jp/a_nisus/Honey Buzzard.html

Some European HB:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jensbb/...rakHuvudsakligenAdultHoneybuzzardMainlyAdult#

http://picasaweb.google.com/jensbb/...vudsakligenJuvenilHoneyBuzzardMainlyJuvenile#

JanJ

Last edited:
Hey Jan - thanks to some wise and wonderful folk who decide what and what not the people of China can see and read on the web - I'm afraid we can't open Picasa - so those pictures of Eurasian HB you linked on that last post are effectively censored for us:-C

Hey Jan - thanks to some wise and wonderful folk who decide what and what not the people of China can see and read on the web - I'm afraid we can't open Picasa - so those pictures of Eurasian HB you linked on that last post are effectively censored for us:-C

Sid,

Can you not use kproxy.com ? Should be fine, I used it in Yunnan, Sichuan and Tibet this year without a problem - can access various banned websites this way...

Oh, nice OHB too! Only a small mesial stripe though on the close birds.

James

Hi James - I actually pay to use the Witopia VPN service (which is how I keep on adding to my Blogspot sites - Blogger also being blocked out here) - so can with a bit fiddling around get over the 'great firewall" and view dangerous Eurasian HB pictures on Picasa.
My comments were more of a general gripe - but has led on to a good tip for visiting birders about the use of proxies - which potentially allow you to get "freer" internet access during a China birding visit.
Useful bird ID images are also found on flickr. About 50% of flickr is also inaccessible (depends on which picture farm the photo is stored) - so some form of proxy/VPN is needed to get to see these.

Luckily OBC which has a most useful library of Chinese bird images is completely open - and is worth checking for Oriental Honey Buzzard. However Eurasian Honey Buzzard is not included on the OBC list.

Last edited:
Well there you go - the famous chinese censorship. It seemed as you could get around to see those pic anyway, that´s good.

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back