• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesbos Dragonflies2 (1 Viewer)

The first I think - never seen one - is an immature male Small Skimmer (Orthetrum taeniolatum)

The second is a female Violet Dropwing (Trithemis annulata)

I'm always happy to learn - what distinguishes this from RVD?

There are at least 9 1/2 Ax (antenodal crossveins) in the forewing. (I think there are exactly 9 1/2 but the lighting makes it a bit difficult to see).

Trithemis have 9.5-12.5 Ax and sympetrum have 8 or fewer Ax in the forewing.

A female RVD (and most sympetrum females) has two rows of black dashes along the abdomen sides - one centrally and one lower down- a female Violet Dropwing(VDW) has just one and usually not as obvious.

The pattern on the side of the first few segments is quite different - best seen by looking at a few images on http://www.dragonflypix.com/

Even with a side view you can see the black going down the side of the frons in a RVD - the black doesn't go down the side of the frons in a VDW.

RVD has striped legs, VDW has black legs.

There are probably differences in venation too but I can't remember them!

HTH

Agree with Paul re. ID, and the age of the Small Skimmer. Both these species relatively widespread on the island from early to mid-May. Small Skimmers were on the wing last week of April this year, and Violet Dropwing from first week of May.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back