• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (65 Viewers)

As some of you may know I am a ardent patch watcher and not given to twitching in the traditional sense (not that I think there's anything wrong with it - but because I haven't got the time!)- so to have been able to 'twitch' 3 great birds at Upton this year so far, as well as see increased numbers of Avocet and other species has been a privilege and highly enjoyable. The Bluethroat is a lifer for me full stop and to have seen it at Upton is very special. Now all we need is for the Cetti's to return (and maybe a few more rarities!)

Nice post Gert, Upton is certainly an amazing place to watch birds, it's also full of wonderful regulars who make the less skilled like me feel very welcome.

Here's to Upton, it's birds and most of all it's wonderful regulars B :)

Just home from Upton Warren decided to relax the parking after most of the sailing centre staff left at 5 pm. Bluethroat last seen at 10:37 am. I'm going back down tomorrow morning with a view to seeing the bird before helping out again.

Actually I don't know what all the fuss was about as the bird showed really well from the car park and sang most of the day. I'll have to get a more experienced birder to explain to me what makes this a Blue-Spotted Whitethroat though... ;)

B :)

Attachments

• Whitethroat1_resize.jpg
    Whitethroat1_resize.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 81
  • Whitethroat2_resize.jpg
    Whitethroat2_resize.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Actually I don't know what all the fuss was about as the bird showed really well from the car park and sang most of the day. I'll have to get a more experienced birder to explain to me what makes this a Blue-Spotted Whitethroat though... ;)

B :)

Hi Sy - think this is what you were looking for (sorry, looks better enlarged)

Attachments

• Blue-spotted Whiethroat.jpg
    Blue-spotted Whiethroat.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 109
Just home from Upton Warren decided to relax the parking after most of the sailing centre staff left at 5 pm. Bluethroat last seen at 10:37 am. I'm going back down tomorrow morning with a view to seeing the bird before helping out again.

Hope it shows for you Sy :t:

Off to the relative peace of the Wyre tomorrow morning, but may swing by in the afternoon as Mrs Woodwolf wants to go to Webbs ;)

How were the queues at around 6:30 this PM??
MB

Probably a maximum of 35-40 birders on site at its peak this morning; not sure about this evening.

Disappointing that it wasnt seen again after 10:30ish but suspect it will be looked for again early tomorrow morning (another early start Dave?).

Probably a maximum of 35-40 birders on site at its peak this morning; not sure about this evening.

Disappointing that it wasnt seen again after 10:30ish but suspect it will be looked for again early tomorrow morning (another early start Dave?).

Yes 5am tomorrow for me. In all probability it was still on site this evening but eluded all of the observers present - let's see what the morning brings. Hopefully, it will sing again.

Now I need some kip. :gn:

Hope it shows for you Sy :t:

Off to the relative peace of the Wyre tomorrow morning, but may swing by in the afternoon as Mrs Woodwolf wants to go to Webbs ;)

You'll have a nice day in the Wyre. Wonderful close up views of redstarts on Monday - along the disused railway line just by the path down to the bridge

Mike

What's the chance of organising a welcoming/carrying party on Monday for the Tern Raft guys? I'm expecting to get the last of the flotation medium/devices tomorrow so it'll just need installing. I can round up some guys to help me get the raft on to the Landie at this end.
How are things going with the bags of fence post concrete/anchors, John?
Do we have chain/rope and buoy(s) (if required)?

What's the chance of organising a welcoming/carrying party on Monday for the Tern Raft guys? I'm expecting to get the last of the flotation medium/devices tomorrow so it'll just need installing. I can round up some guys to help me get the raft on to the Landie at this end.
How are things going with the bags of fence post concrete/anchors, John?
Do we have chain/rope and buoy(s) (if required)?

Hi Sy
How many anchors do we need? there are concrete posts we can attach one end to.
How many hands do you need ?
chain lengths etc.
I will buy whatever we need. I cannot make Monday. Can we float em early May ?
I will be there Sunday and all day tomorrow, is there anyway you can get there Sunday.
I'm sure the lads will be able to help out.
B :)John

WELL Boys excitement over back down to earth Tomorrow ..with a trial run of next weeks all-dayer. I did see rain was due on one TV weather forecast but not sure now. Anyhow I will be there with Crofty (junior), Dave and hopefully a few more of us.
B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back